Ahtanum Sunday

  • Kerry Turley
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2004
      Yakkers,

      John Hebert and I birded the Middle fork of Ahtanum Creek today in an
      unsuccessful search for Spruce Grouse. Although the species numbers were not
      anything to brag about, the birds we did see were neat enough to make the
      trip worthwhile.

      Birds seen (in someones taxonomic order):

      Red-tailed Hawk
      American Kestrel
      California Quail
      Belted Kingfisher
      Lewis' Woodpecker
      Hairy Woodpecker (so close you could count the toes without binos)
      White-headed Woodpecker (great close up looks)
      Black-backed Woodpecker
      Steller's Jay
      Black-billed Magpie
      Common Raven
      Mountain Chickadee (these must be the only ones not informed of the
      irruption into the lowlands)
      Chestnut-backed Chickadee
      Red-breasted Nuthatch
      White-breasted Nuthatch (being quite voiciferous)
      Winter Wren
      American Dipper
      Golden-crowned Kinglet
      Varied Thrush
      Song Sparrow
      Pine Siskin (a flock of 50 or more, plus other small groups)

      Total number of species seen: 21

      Kerry Turley
      Sunnyside
      kdturley@...