yard birds

  • Sturnella@aol.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 1, 2004
      I saw my first White crowned Sparrows of the season on Sunday Aug. 29.
      And a Towhee was here on Aug. 31.
      Both are new August birds for my yard lists.
      That's all for now,

      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 18, 2004
        Not a rarity, but new yard birds for me.....two TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRES taking
        advantage of a honeysuckle bush and my Italian prune tree for the past two
        days.

        Joyce Lucas
        Yakima ( west valley )
        ajbirds@...

      • Sturnella@aol.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 9, 2006
          I had a Blue Jay in my sunflowers most of Sunday, Oct. 8th. My newest yard
          bird # 172!
          Last week I saw a Winter Wren in my mint area behind the pond.
          My yard is full of Juncos, White-crowned Sparrows and a few Golden crowned
          Sparrows and Song Sparrows.
          Debie

          Debie Brown
          Konnowac Pass
          Moxee, WA
          sturnella@...

        • ty604di@aol.com
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 21 2:49 PM
            Hi all , the yard is full of White Capped Sparrows , Pine Siskins , Brewer
            Black Birds , a pair of Black Capped Chickadee`s and Wood Ducks are now here .
            A Red Tailed Hawk is enjoying a few of my pigeons .

            Diane
            Terrace Heights

            listings at AOL Autos.

          • Sturnella@aol.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 22 7:14 PM
              I saw my first Barn Swallows of the year April 18, and my first Western
              Kingbird today, April 22.

              Debie Brown
              Konnowac Pass
              Moxee, WA
              sturnella@...

              listings at AOL Autos.

            • Sturnella@aol.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 5, 2008
                Hi Yakkers

                This morning from about 9:30 and continuing for about an hour and a half
                ,were swarms of Violet-green Swallows- easily 3000, flying over our place. The
                sky was full of them - moving south.

                In the last few days I've seen about 20 American Pipits and 1 Snipe in a
                field Ron worked up.

                Oct. 1st, before they harvested the hop field next to us 100's of
                Yellow-rumped Warblers were fly catching all over the tops of the hops for several
                days. A Wilson's Warbler and 2 Orange-crowned Warblers were in my flowers on the
                same day.

                3 Stellar's Jays visited the neighborhood Oct. 2 and 3. 1 here and 2 at the
                neighbors.

                Debie Brown
                Konnowac Pass
                Moxee, WA
                sturnella@...

                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 7, 2008
                  Yakkers,

                  Thank You Debie. Your count on Violet-green Swallows is certainly noteworthy and ranks among the very highest anywhere. I suspect these are northern populations, not ones that nested locally, heading south. There seem to be a bazillion Violet-green Swallows.

                  Message 8 of 30 , May 8, 2009
                    Hi Yakkers

                    We saw our first N.Oriole and Black-chinned Hummingbird of the year
                    here-May 7th.
                    The pair of Eurasian collared Doves are still here,too.
                    We can see the 3 baby Red-tailed Hawks in the nest pretty good now.

                    Debie Brown
                    Konnowac Pass
                    Moxee, WA
                    sturnella@...
                    steps!
                    (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221322931x1201367171/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd
                    =May5509AvgfooterNO115)

                  • Sturnella@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 28, 2009
                      Hi Yakkers
                      This is what I saw and heard this morning while doing my morning 'chores'.
                      I used ebird to make my list--very easy!!
                      Debie

                      Location: meadowlark lane
                      Observation date: 7/28/09
                      Number of species: 41

                      Mallard 1
                      California Quail 75
                      Great Blue Heron 1
                      Swainson's Hawk 4
                      Red-tailed Hawk 6
                      American Kestrel 2
                      Prairie Falcon 1
                      Killdeer 6
                      Rock Pigeon 7
                      Eurasian Collared-Dove 3
                      Mourning Dove 2
                      Common Nighthawk 2
                      Black-chinned Hummingbird 1
                      Rufous Hummingbird 1
                      Northern Flicker 2
                      Say's Phoebe 1
                      Western Kingbird 2
                      Warbling Vireo 1
                      Black-billed Magpie 2
                      Common Raven 1
                      Horned Lark 4
                      Violet-green Swallow 3
                      Bank Swallow 1
                      Cliff Swallow 8
                      Barn Swallow 12
                      House Wren 2
                      American Robin 4
                      European Starling 4
                      Chipping Sparrow 1
                      Brewer's Sparrow 1
                      Vesper Sparrow 3
                      Lark Sparrow 2
                      Sage Sparrow 1
                      Black-headed Grosbeak 1
                      Red-winged Blackbird 4
                      Western Meadowlark 2
                      Brewer's Blackbird 14
                      Bullock's Oriole 2
                      House Finch 12
                      American Goldfinch 8
                      House Sparrow 6

                      Steps!
                      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377107x1201454434/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jul
                      yExcfooterNO62)

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 28, 2009
                        In a message dated 7/28/2009 9:27:41 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
                        Sturnella@... writes:

                        I used eBird to make my list--very easy!!

                        Debie and Yakkers,

                        A very impressive yard list indeed. Throw in the fact that it is
                        very warm day during one of the slowest periods for birds in
                        a yard, forty-one species is quite impressive. I couldn't squeeze
                        that many in a twenty-hour span if I birded my yard every day
                        of the year.

                        First off, Debie is with out a doubt, an exceptional observer.
                        She has worked to make her yard attractive to wildlife and her
                        location affords an expansive view of varied habitat.

                        It is a treat to marvel at her list; however, I hope readers will
                        not overlook her comment about using eBird. This is something
                        we all SHOULD be doing in our yards and at a favorite birding
                        location or two.

                        Below is a partial paste from a Tweeters post by Jamie Acker.
                        He was stressing the point that accumulated data can help protect
                        habitat and/or alert researchers to trends in bird populations, Do
                        not read anything into the second paragraph...eBird is free, there is
                        no fee to pay.

                        "Ebird allows us, the birding community, to document our
                        observations. Over time, similar, but much deeper and better detailed
                        than the Christmas Bird Counts that many of us participate in, trends
                        develop. The individual observations become a collective group, a
                        history, and a much more powerful defense.

                        So, a plea to get an eBird account, and to submit data. It's almost
                        as good as a tax deduction, or a donation to your favorite conservation
                        group,because it quietly helps add to the data base for the future.
                        And it is painless." end of quote

                        http:// www. ebird.org

                        Together we build a more accurate picture than any of us could alone.

                        eBird enthusiast

                        steps!
                        (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377107x1201454434/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115
                        &bcd=JulystepsfooterNO115)

                      • Sturnella@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 15 2:03 PM
                          Hi Yakkers
                          The pair of Swainson's Hawks arrived near their last year's nest sight
                          yesterday. They have been adding sticks to the nest today. They always seem so
                          happy to be back- flying way up in the air then swooping down......
                          Also in the yard are Golden and Ruby crowned Kinglets, Brewer's Sparrows
                          singing, lots of singing American Goldfinches, Robins, Red-winged and
                          Brewer's Blackbirds. 3 large flocks of Canada Geese flew over last evening
                          totaling about 360.
                          Our nesting pair of Red-tailed Hawks have young in the nest-not sure how
                          many yet. Also nesting here now are a pair of Eurasian collared Doves. They
                          nested here last year and had 2 babies. They were here all winter.
                          An adult Bald Eagle and a Cooper's Hawk soared around our place
                          yesterday,too.

                          Debie Brown
                          Konnowac Pass
                          Moxee, WA
                          sturnella@...

                        • Sturnella@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 1, 2010
                            I have seen several Western Tanagers in my maple trees the last few days.
                            A Swainson's Thrush was seen also- I haven't seen one here since Sept.
                            1986.
                            Wilson's and Yellow Warblers, and a singing Red-eyed Vireo were here today-
                            June 1st.
                            The baby Kestrels are just about ready to fledge. They are peeking out the
                            nest box hole-so cute!

                            Debie Brown
                            Konnowac Pass
                            Moxee, WA
                            sturnella@...

                          • Sturnella@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 8, 2010
                              Here are a few bird sightings from my yard in the last couple days.

                              Least Sandpipers 2
                              Solitary Sandpiper 1
                              Turkey Vulture 1

                              Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
                              Olive-sided Flycatcher 1
                              Violet-green Swallows 12
                              Black-headed Grosbeaks 3
                              Orange-crowned Warblers 2

                              N. Orioles 4
                              Song Sparrow 1

                              Debie Brown
                              Konnowac Pass
                              Moxee, WA
                              sturnella@...

                            • Sturnella@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 10, 2010
                                Here is a report of what I saw this morning between 7:30 & 9:00.

                                Location: meadowlark lane
                                Observation date: 9/10/10
                                Number of species: 48

                                Canada Goose 13