Wenas Lake shorebirds

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2004
      Hi All,

      This afternoon, between 5 and 6 pm, I scanned the shores of Wenas Lake for shorebirds. The water level is still high; there is only a small area of mud. There's a lot of shallows covered with Water Knotweed, an aquatic plant with pretty purple flowers, now in bloom. Shorebirds I tallied included:

      Killdeer - 25, their cries got on my nerves
      Solitary Sandpiper - 1
      Spotted Sandpiper - 2
      Semipalmated Sandpiper - 1
      Least Sandpiper - 3
      Common Snipe - 5

      Going and coming, I was saddened to see a thick pall of smoke rising from a fire on the Yakima Training Center. They are training daily with live fire on the best shrub-steppe in Washington. This is on the parched summer landscape.Their behavior begs for a land ethic such as Aldo Leopold wrote about. Then again, these are the same people clamoring for war, so what do Sage Grouse or Sage Thrashers matter in their world?

    • John J. Hebert
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
        The water level is dropping precipitously at Wenas Lake and there
        is a great deal of exposed mud now. The birds of the day were
        6 RED-NECKED PHALAROPE. There were 4 Juveniles
        (needlike bill, boldly striped back, gray legs) and two well
        worn adults. The peeps numbers are up with around 15
        Least Sandpipers, a few Spotted and one Solitary.

        Carpi avis,

        John J. Hebert