Re: Pelican movement

  • S c o t t R
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28 10:31 PM
      I suspect that the apparent range expansion of the Am White Pelican may be
      the result of the decline of the effects of DDT in the environment. DDT
      decimated Brown Pelicans along the west coast in the 50s and 60s. I
      recall Brown Pelican being a hotline bird in the late 70s and early 80s at
      Ocean Shores. Of course now they are abundant along the Washington Coast
      as post or non-breeders.

      Does anyone know of literature describing pre-DDT Am White Pelican
      distribution? Were their eggs seriously affected by that chemical? Is
      their mode of incubation similar to Brown Pelican which involves standing
      on the eggs, securing them beneath the web of the 1st and rear toes, and
      thus making them especially susceptible to breakage with DDT-thinned
      shells?

      Scott R a y

      Yakima, WA

      PS: I saw a male Mountain Bluebird near my place this morning, 4 miles NE
      of Moxee. This is quite unusual.