Re: [BirdYak] 33rd Street ponds

  • Michael J Roper
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2004
      The 33rd Street ponds are south of Terrace Heights Drive and to the west
      of 33rd Street. 33rd Street is blocked off on the south end before you
      get to Sportsman's Park so the only way to get there is from Terrace
      Heights Drive.
      Mike

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 30, 2004
        Hi Yakkers,

        I visited the ponds along 33rd Street in Terrace Heights this afternoon. It is a pretty odd place to be seeing birds. There are two ponds surrounded tons of cheatgrass (take your socks off before you go in there), thistles and other weeds and wonderful birds, and butterflies, around them.

        It has to be the Spotted Sandpiper capital of the Yakima Valley. I saw more Spotted Sandpipers than I could count -- at least ten, including two downy fluffballs looking like whitish tennis balls with legs. Adult Spotted Sandpipers are a digiscopers worst nightmare because they move around so much. The adults are nothing compared to the babes. They are perpetual motion machines. If they stand still for three seconds its because they stopped to take a nap. But, my gosh, they are cute! When I saw the first one, I didn't know what it was, until it bobbed up and down just like its parents. It would sure be nice to get a photo (in my dreams).

        Killdeers, two Least Sandpipers - both in adult plumage, Brewer's and Red-winged Blackbirds, Mourning Doves, Song Sparrows and American Goldfinches were also seen.

        I found three Mylitta Crescent butterflies, which is a lifer on my butterfly list, and many, many Cabbage Whites, also.

        I think this spot will be like the little wetland just south of Randle Park along S. 48th Ave. It will accumulate quite a shorebird list before the summer is over.

        Denny

        * Denny Granstrand *
        * Yakima, WA *
        * dgranstrand@... *