Re: [BirdYak] 2001 BIRDATHON

  • John Hebert
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 21, 2001
      I would like to help on the "Big Day". Team leader or member. Let me know
      what areas you need help with. Looking forward to it,

      John J. Hebert
      jhebert@...
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2 6:52 AM
        The following preliminary line-up is in place for the May 12 Birdathon. We
        still need help, as you can see. Those who want to participate either as a
        leader or helper, please e-mail me or the leader of that group directly.
        Thanks!

        Yakkers,

        May 12 is the "Big Day." Literally, that's the day the Yakima Valley
        Audubon Society sets out to see how many species can be seen in Yakima
        County in one BIG DAY. We need leaders and team members for the fiollowing
        teams which were run last year.

        1-Wenas - Scott Ray and family

        2-White Pass - John Hebert

        3-Chinook Pass - Larry and Doris Robinson

        4-Cascades "At Large" - Ken Bevis

        5-East Toppenish NWR and Satus Creek - Kerry Turley

        6-West Toppenish NWR west to Fort Simcoe - ?

        7-Yakima Training Center (Uplands) - Andy Stepniewski

        8-Yakima Residential - ?

        9-Southeast Yakima County (Grandview Lagoons) and Hwy 24. Also Dry Creek
        east from Hwy 97 - Denny Granstrand

        10-Byron Ponds/Satus Wildlife Area - Gaylord Mink

        11-Ahtanum Mission, Ahtanum Creek upwards towards Darland Mountain - Joyce
        Lucas, Arlene Fay, and Jennie Hodges

        12- Priest Rapids Lake - Andy Stepniewski

        Message 3 of 5 , May 2 9:53 PM
          After Andy ask me to do the White Pass section of the BIRDATHON
          I went up to White Pass this last Saturday. While standing at a frozen
          Dog Lake in a blizzard I was trying to think of what I had done to
          Andy to give me such a great "opportunity". Then I heard the songs of
          the Varied Thrush and, of all things, the Western Slope (Pacific) song
          of the White-crowned sparrow. Not the song we hear in the Yakima
          Valley. On the way back to town I got a new Yakima County bird.
          I spotted a Harlequin Duck in the river as I sped toward home at
          50 mph.

          A heads-up for the group leader of the Toppenish East count. Today
          I saw an American Pipit in the flodded fields South of Marion Drain
          and just East of the Old Goldendale Road.

          What a Great Show at the Toppenish NWR! 10s of Avocets and Stilts.
          Plus 100s of other shorebirds( Yellowlegs, Sandpipers, Semipalmated
          Sandpipers, Dunlin, a Wilson's Phalarope etc.).

          Thank all for you submissions to this group,

          John J. Hebert
          jhebert@...
        • Deb Davis & Ken Bevis
          Message 4 of 5 , May 6 2:40 PM
            Mr. Step:
            I will likely be on the White pass side in quest of pileated WO and spotty.
            In the AM I am supposed to do a bird walk for KEEN. I will count those
            species too. Thanks for the great dinner the other night. I really
            enjoyed it.
            KB