Umptanum Creek Field Trip

  • Sturnella@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 13, 2004
      Hi Yakkers

      12 Yakima Valley Auduboners went on the Umptanum Creek field trip, Sat. June
      12.
      We started from the Wenas Rd. side of the trail and hiked as far as the
      Umptanum Falls. We made several stops along the way and hiked up Hardy Canyon on
      the way back.
      All along the trail to the Falls we saw and heard Western Wood Pewees,
      Robins, Black headed Grosbeaks and Bullock's Orioles. We saw a Dipper in the pool
      below the Falls and it's nest of moss on the cliff side. Vaux' swifts were
      circling overhead. On the way back we saw a MacGillivary's Warbler with a beakfull
      of bugs, and Nashville and Yellow Warblers. I saw a Pileated Woodpecker fly
      into a pine tree on a hillside. About half the group hiked up the hill to see
      it, but never caught a glimpse of the elusive Woodpecker. Along the trail were
      several types of butterflies and many beautiful flowers. Our highlight bird of
      the trail was the flycatcher who posed for Mac to take a few pictures of, and
      called enough times for us to identify it confidently as a Least Flycatcher.
      On the way back down to Yakima, we stopped at Hardy Canyon Rd. (?) and saw a
      Warbling Vireo sitting on her nest. It was pretty well camouflaged and very
      tiny.
      At the Hardy Canyon entrance we saw a Yellow breasted Chat sitting and
      singing in the top of a snag, right out in the open. We saw young Downy Woodpeckers
      following the parent bird up and around a tree. We hiked up to the big pine
      tree hoping to see a Blue grey Gnatcatcher, but it was not to be found.
      We saw 70 species of birds- the list follows:
      Canada Geese
      Osprey- Wenas Lake
      Red tailed Hawk
      Kestrels
      CA Quail
      Coot
      Killdeer
      Rock Doves
      Mourning Doves
      Nighthawks
      Vaux' Swifts
      Kingfisher
      Lewis' Woodpecker
      Downy woodpecker
      Hairy Woodpecker
      Flicker
      Pileated Woodpecker
      Olive sided Flycatcher
      Western Wood Pewees
      Least Flycatcher
      Western Kingbird
      Eastern Kingbird
      Loggerhead Shrike
      Warbling Vireo
      Steller's Jay
      Clark's Nutcracker
      Magpies
      Ravens
      Tree Swallows
      Rough winged Swallows
      Bank Swallows
      Cliff Swallows
      Barn Swallows
      Black capped Chickadees
      Mountain Chickadees
      Red breasted Nuthatches
      White breasted Nuthatches
      Rock Wrens
      House Wrens
      Dipper
      Western Bluebirds
      Veery
      Hermit Thrush
      Robin
      Varied thrush
      starling
      Cedar Waxwing
      Nashville Warbler
      Yellow Warbler
      Wilson's Warbler
      MacGillivary's Warbler
      Yellow Breasted Chat
      Western Tanager
      Spotted Towhees
      Chipping Sparrows
      Vesper Sparrows
      Song Sparrows
      Juncoes
      Black headed Grosbeaks
      Lazuli Buntings
      Red winged Blackbird
      W Meadowlark
      Brewers blackbird
      Brown headed Cowbird
      Bullock's Oriole
      Purple Finch
      Cassin's Finch
      House Finch
      Goldfinches
      House Sparrows
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 15, 2005
        I'll be leading the Audubon field trip to Umptanum Creek via the Yakima River
        Canyon this year, on Saturday, June 18.
        We'll meet at 7:00 at the 40th Ave. Bi-Mart.
        Bring lunch and water to carry. We'll hike 2-4 miles.
        Debie
        248-3878

      • Sue Ericksen
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 17, 2005
          Hello Yakkers,

          What a surprise we had today when we checked our second kestrel box because
          of so much in and out activity. This is the box that we placed a camera in,
          but got it in place too late for them to use. They hatched 5 and fledged 5
          from the original nest box.

          Now, in the second box, Ma Kestrel is setting on 5 eggs! We don't know when
          she started setting, so can't predict a hatch date. The camera is working
          beautifully and we have a great view. Anyone interested is welcome to come see.

          Sue in Sawyer
          865-3572
        • Sturnella@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 17, 2005
            Hi Sue
            Are these the same Kestrels with a second brood, or another Kestrel pair?
            Debie