Russell Ridge-31 May

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2004
      RUSSELL RIDGE TRAIL

      Ellen and I and a group of friends hiked up the Andy Creek Trail (!) above Rimrock Lake. The route up is all on south-facing slopes, so it was snow free. There were lots of wildflowers and the weather, pretty lousy the last few weeks, improved. Once atop Russell Ridge, snow made hiking in either direction difficult, so we lunched on an airy perch with views of Mt. Adams and the Goat Rocks and then descended.

      Birds noted:

      Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1

      Northern Goshawk - 1, soared over a meadow in mid-morning

      Blue Grouse - 4

      Williamson's Sapsucker - 1, male in parking area

      Hairy Woodpecker - 1

      Hammond's Flycatcher - 2, parking area

      Gray Jay - 3

      Steller's Jay - 4

      Clark's Nutcracker - 3, at least one a juvenile

      Common Raven - 2

      Mountain Chickadee - 5
      Chestnut-backed Chickadee - 3

      Red-breasted Nuthatch - 5

      Golden-crowned Kinglet - 10

      Hermit Thrush - 2

      American Robin - 2

      Orange-crowned Warbler - 2

      Nashville Warbler - 3

      Yellow-rumped Warbler - 3

      Townsend's Warbler - 10, several males in territorial disputes

      MacGilliuvray's Warbler - 1

      Wilson's Warbler - 2

      Chipping Sparrow - 10

      Lincoln's Sparrow -1, in hellebore meadows

      Dark-eyed Junco - 10

      Cassin's Finch - 5

      Pine Siskin - 15

      Evening Grosbeak - 10