Chukar hen and brood-May 13

    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2004

      This afternoon at 5 pm, while descending Rattlesnake Ridge north of Wapato, I surprised a hen Chukar (presumably) and a batch of chicks. The adult bird promptly started a broken-wing act, calling harshly, and shuffled off a few yards. Meanwhile, the chicks, which seemed just hatched, on account of their tiny size (about that of an adult bluebird) scurried off through the cheatgrasss, disappearing an about five seconds. I quickly continued on down the trail and left the birds to regroup.

      I thought this an early date for a brood to be about.