Mayday

  • Kerry Turley
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2004
      Yakkers,

      Spent a beautiful Mayday in the lower Yakima Valley mostly from Hwy 97 along
      Pumphouse Rd to Island Rd to Marion Dr. Rd and back to Hwy 97, including a
      stop at the Toppenish National Wildlife Refuge "Kioske". Birds were
      plentiful with 64 species, as were the ticks.

      Birds seen (in taxonomic order):

      American White Pelican - 8 just east of Hwy 97 Refuge
      American Bittern
      Great Blue Heron
      Canada Goose
      Gadwall
      Mallard
      Blue-winged Teal - a Drake and Hen first I've seen this year.
      Cinnamon Teal
      Northern Shoveler
      Northern Pintail
      Green-Winged Teal
      Redhead
      Ring-necked Duck
      Greater Scaup - a Hen and Drake
      Lesser Scaup - 1 Drake near the GRSC pair
      Bufflehead
      Ruddy Duck
      Northern Harrier
      Red-tailed Hawk
      American Kestrel
      Ring-necked Pheasant
      California Quail
      Virginia Rail
      Sora
      American Coot
      Killdeer
      Black-necked Stilt
      American Avocet - 4 along Old Goldendale Rd. and Pumphouse Rd.
      Lesser Yellowlegs - 2 along Old Goldendale Rd. and Pumphouse Rd. (noticably
      smaller than the Black-necked Stilts around them.
      Western Sandpiper - 2 along Old Goldendale Rd. and Pumphouse Rd.
      Long-billed Dowitcher - 1 along Old Goldendale Rd. and Pumphouse Rd.
      Wilson's Snipe
      Ring-billed Gull
      Rock Dove
      Mourning Dove
      Barn Owl
      Unidentified Empidonax - a small grayish flycatcher with eyering and faint
      vest look to breast working the sagebrush along Pumphouse Rd. I did not get
      a look at wings for bars.
      Say's Phoebe
      Western Kingbird
      Loggerhead Shrike