Peregrinating Pumphouse Proliferates Punctilious Punches

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2004
      Chirp,

      Just returned from a late afternoon sweep along Pumphouse Road with my aunt
      and sister. The goal was to catch a few Avocets in the full glory of late
      afternoon sun beams. No luck on the Avocets.

      However, we did see a pair of Blue-winged Teal at the corral near milepost 8.
      Several Cinnamon Teal and Northern Shovelers were present with a Lesser
      Yellowlegs and three Least Sandpipers. Understandably, it was difficult to arouse
      too much interest in the peeps from my eighty year-young aunt who is battling
      glaucoma. The water level in this area is down drastically...plus the
      vegetation has grown higher. Prime waterfowl viewing is a couple weeks overripe
      here. Plus the ducks have paired up...the large Wigeon flocks were not seen this
      afternoon. In fact, I don't recall even seeing any Northern Pintail.

      At Old Goldendale Road, the west side of the road clanged home a winner with
      a pair of Wilson's Phalaropes. Also a Lesser Yellowlegs here with
      Black-necked Stilt and at least a dozen dormant sandpipers...most likely Least
      Sandpipers. Again, didn't spend much time looking at the peeps. I couldn't see them
      with my naked eye so my aunt was probably having the same luck with bins.
      Anyone hitting the area tomorrow might want to take a little time in this area
      scanning for peeps of interest

      Good close looks at two Loggerhead Shrike and numerous Yellow-headed
      Blackbirds made up for the loss of Avocet for my aunt.