Re: [BirdYak] Kestrel nest box

  • S c o t t R
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 29, 2004
      Ken,
      Thanks for the info. I'll have to try that next winter. I built a starling
      trap that has been fairly effective this spring but it should have been
      set up much earlier. It's a nest box trap.

      Scott

    • Sue Ericksen
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2004
        Scott,

        We've had a Kestrel box up for 11 years or so and once the kestrels take it
        over, they keep the starlings out. We were late in March putting it up that
        first year and it looked like starlings had taken it over. But, one day in
        May we saw that we had a kestrel pair and no more starlings. They will keep
        an eye on it after fledging the young and through-out the winter. A Flicker
        will winter roost in the box, but come February the kestrels evict him.
        Which is rather fun to watch.

        Enjoy your birds!

        Sue
        Sawyer