Yellow-headed blackbird

  • deborahessman
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29 6:43 PM
      Hi Yakkers--I just hate posting after Rich. I don't even try to be
      clever anymore, as my futile attempts at humor always pale by
      comparison. So here's a just a brief report--the first yellow-headed
      blackbird of the year arrived at our feeders this afternoon. Last
      year they first showed up on April 26th. As striking as they are,
      they're so obnoxious to listen to! The brown-headed cowbirds are
      starting to trickle-in in pairs, just as the local birds are setting
      up housekeeping--timing is everything. The tree swallows have
      discovered the new bottom-entry nest box and are starting to gather
      nesting material. So far the house sparrows are leaving them alone.
      Hope it works. The rough-legged hawks disappeared about a week ago,
      finally headed north I'm sure. Still a lot of white-crowned sparrows
      under the feeders, really enjoying their singing, as well as the A.
      goldfinches. Deborah north of Kittitas.