Toppenish Wildlife Refuge

  • Kerry Turley
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2001
      Date: April 1, 2001
      Location: Toppenish National Wildlife Refuge, Yakima County, Washington

      Prevailing wind speed: 1-5 km/h
      Percentage of sky covered by clouds: 30%
      Precipitation: none

      Birded the observation platform, along the nature trail to the refuge
      headquarters and had 36 species there (see footnotes for locations of
      the other bird sightings). Then drove Pumphouse Rd to Mud lake, to
      Lateral C, to Marion Drain, to Old Goldendale Rd., to Pumphouse Rd.

      Birds seen (in taxonomic order):

      Great Blue Heron
      Black-crowned Night-Heron [1]
      Canada Goose
      Gadwall
      American Wigeon
      Mallard
      Cinnamon Teal [2]
      Northern Shoveler
      Northern Pintail
      Green-Winged Teal
      Redhead [3]
      Ring-necked Duck
      Bufflehead
      Bald Eagle [4]
      Northern Harrier
      Red-tailed Hawk
      American Kestrel
      Ring-necked Pheasant
      California Quail [5]
      Virginia Rail [6]
      American Coot
      Killdeer
      Black-necked Stilt [7]
      American Avocet [8]
      Rock Dove
      Mourning Dove
      Great Horned Owl [9]
      Northern Flicker [10]
      Black-billed Magpie
      American Crow
      Tree Swallow
      Barn Swallow
      Black-capped Chickadee [11]
      Marsh Wren
      American Robin
      Varied Thrush
      European Starling [12]
      Yellow-rumped Warbler
      Spotted Towhee
      Song Sparrow
      White-crowned Sparrow
      Dark-eyed Junco
      Red-winged Blackbird
      Western Meadowlark [13]
      Brewer's Blackbird [14]
      House Finch [15]

      Footnotes:

      [1] Flying North across Marion Drain.
      [2] 6 along Old Goldendale Rd.
      [3] 8 on pond nearest the Headquarters
      [4] 1 Adult, 2 immature
      [5] along Pumphouse Rd.
      [6] Responded excitedly to pishing
      [7] 7 on Mud Lake
      [8] 1 on pond nearest the Headquarters
      [9] Female sitting on nest at Headquarters, had short look at one
      young, may be more.
      [10] Pumphouse Rd.
      [11] Lateral C
      [12] Pumphouse Rd.
      [13] Pumphouse Rd.
      [14] Pumphouse Rd.
      [15] Pumphouse Rd.

      Total number of species seen: 46

      “Fate succumbs many a species:
      one alone jeopardizes itself.”
      - W. H. Auden

      Kerry Turley
      304 E. Woodin Rd.
      Sunnyside, WA 98944
    • Kerry Turley
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 29, 2001

        Toppenish Wildlife Refuge Sunday 29 April 2001

        Birds were observed from the observation platform, along the nature trail, and around the Refuge Headquarters unless noted otherwise. Windy, overcast conditions. Water level has dropped at observation pond making it more attractive to shorebirds.

        Great Blue Heron
        Turkey Vulture [1]
        Canada Goose
        Gadwall
        American Wigeon
        Mallard
        Cinnamon Teal
        Northern Shoveler
        Northern Pintail
        Green-Winged Teal
        Ring-necked Duck
        Bald Eagle
        Northern Harrier
        Red-tailed Hawk
        American Kestrel  [2]
        Ring-necked Pheasant
        California Quail
        American Coot
        Killdeer
        Black-necked Stilt
        American Avocet
        Lesser Yellowlegs
        Western Sandpiper [3]
        Dunlin [4]
        Common Snipe
        Rock Dove
        Mourning Dove
        Great Horned Owl [5]
        Downy Woodpecker
        Northern Flicker [6]
        Western Kingbird [7]
        Black-billed Magpie
        American Crow
        Common Raven  [8]
        Violet-green Swallow
        Northern Rough-winged Swallow
        Bank Swallow [9]
        Cliff Swallow
        Barn Swallow
        House Wren
        American Robin
        European Starling
        Yellow-rumped Warbler
        Song Sparrow
        White-crowned Sparrow
        Golden-crowned Sparrow
        Dark-eyed Junco
        Red-winged Blackbird
        Western Meadowlark
        Yellow-headed Blackbird
        Brewer's Blackbird
        Bullock's Oriole  [10]
        House Finch
        American Goldfinch
        House Sparrow

        Footnotes:

        [1]2 at Milepost 9 on Pumphouse Rd. and 3 at Mud Lake, also had 12 at milepost 2 on Hwy 223 near the town of Granger.
        [2]Pumphouse Rd.
        [3]30-40 in one flock at observation pond.
        [4]15-20 at observation pond.
        [5]Momma and two chicks in nest tree, Papa in tree due east of headquarters building.
        [6]Pumphouse Rd.
        [7]Pumphouse Rd.
        [8]Pumphouse Rd.
        [9]Pumphouse Rd.
        [10]Pumphouse Rd. first I've seen this year

        Total number of species: 55

        Kerry Turley
        304 E. Woodin Rd.
        Sunnyside, WA 98944
      • Kerry Turley
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 10, 2001
          Yakkers,
          Stopped Sunday morning at the refuge headquarters looking for passerines and was surprised to see that there is water in front of the observation platform. It had a good amount of waterfowl dropping in (still pretty drab in their eclipse plumage) and a few killdeer. All told I had 22 species, the highlight was a kettle of 27 Turkey Vultures riding the thermals including  a good view of 5 on the ground on the far side of the pond in front of the platform. In the excitement I left my "National Geographic Field Guide" at the platform, it was gone when I went back for it - hopefully it will get someone interested in birding, I probably needed the new addition anyway.

          Had a good day on the WOS field trip (WallaWalla and Franklin Counties) led by Mike and Merrylynn Denny on Saturday, lots of surprises, the results of that trip will be on the WOS website in the future.

          Kerry Turley
          304 E. Woodin Rd.
          Sunnyside, WA 98944
        • Kerry Turley
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2002
            Yakkers,

            It was a beautiful day at the refuge today. When I arrived there was a
            healthy Black-tailed Buck , with velvet covered forked horns, walking
            through the yard of the refuge. The first place I went was the small pond
            across the bridge and north of the refuge HQ. This pond is drying fast and
            has lots of mud showing, which is attracting some early migrating
            shorebirds.

            As the water decreases it is also concentrating the birds that depend on it.
            Today it looked like family day at the refuge, with both VIRGINIA RAILS and
            SORAS feeding in the open along with their young who were darting in and out
            of the cattails and tules. Young SPOTTED SANDPIPERS were stealthely stalking
            insects with their heads held low and their tails held high they would spear
            an insect the instant it would take flight, it reminded me of the foraging
            methods of a Little Blue Heron, it was actually quite entertaining.

            Another pleasant surprise was to have an AMERICAN PIPIT in with a flock of
            WESTERN SANDPIPERS, not a common bird for TWR in the summer.

            Birds seen (in taxonomic order):

            Great Blue Heron [1]
            Turkey Vulture [2]
            American Wigeon [3]
            Mallard
            Northern Shoveler
            Northern Harrier
            Red-tailed Hawk
            American Kestrel
            Ring-necked Pheasant
            California Quail
            Virginia Rail [4]
            Sora [5]
            American Coot
            Killdeer
            Greater Yellowlegs [6]
            Spotted Sandpiper [7]
            Western Sandpiper [8]
            Rock Dove
            Mourning Dove
            Willow Flycatcher [9]
            Eastern Kingbird
            Black-billed Magpie
            American Crow
            Tree Swallow
            Barn Swallow
            American Robin
            Gray Catbird
            European Starling
            American Pipit [10]
            Song Sparrow
            Red-winged Blackbird
            American Goldfinch
            House Sparrow

            Footnotes:

            [1] only 1, quite a drop from a week ago
            [2] 1 soaring over the refuge and one feeding on a rodkilled cat on
            Pumphouse Rd.
            [3] just starting to get it's color back (eclipse plummage drives me
            nuts!).
            [4] 2 adults and 2 young
            [5] 1 adult and 2 young
            [6] 1 ea
            [7] 1 adult with 4 young
            [8] 14 ea.
            [9] fitz-bew
            [10] 1 ea. feeding in the mud with the shorebirds

            Total number of species seen: 33

            Kerry Turley
            304 E. Woodin Rd.
            Sunnyside, WA 98944
          • Kerry Turley
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 24, 2002
              Date: November 24, 2002
              Location: Toppenish National Wildlife Refuge, Yakima County, Washington

              I made my weekly tour of the Toppenish Wildlife Refuge today. Nothing to get
              excited about as the hunting pressure is increasing with the water. I was
              surprised at the lack of Green-winged Teal and American Widgeons, which are
              usually quite abundant. The resident Great-horned Owls were roosting side by
              side whereas they are usually seperated, could be early stages of courtship,
              nesting season is right around the corner for them.

              Birds seen (in taxonomic order):

              Great Blue Heron
              Canada Goose
              Mallard
              Northern Shoveler
              Northern Pintail
              Northern Harrier
              Red-tailed Hawk
              American Kestrel
              Ring-necked Pheasant
              California Quail
              Rock Dove
              Great Horned Owl
              Belted Kingfisher
              Downy Woodpecker
              Northern Flicker
              Black-billed Magpie
              Black-capped Chickadee
              Bewick's Wren
              American Robin
              European Starling
              Song Sparrow
              White-crowned Sparrow
              Golden-crowned Sparrow
              Dark-eyed Junco
              Red-winged Blackbird
              Western Meadowlark
              Brewer's Blackbird
              House Finch
              American Goldfinch
              House Sparrow

              Total number of species seen: 30

              Kerry Turley
              304 E. Woodin Rd.
              Sunnyside, WA 98944
            • Elizabeth Bohn
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 21, 2012
                Hi Yakkers,

                Around 3 o'clock, my father and I went out birding at Toppenish Wildlife Refuge.  We saw quite a bit of birds.

                Redheads
                Black-billed Magpies
                Yellow-headed Blackbirds
                Mallards