birds

  • gunter hadersberger
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 2001
      sat,mar,31.   on the way to the iba meeting.

      w king bird  - top golf course. vauks swift - east of 97  on marlian drain. v g swallow on lat b. the rest were comon.

      gunter
    • gunter hadersberger
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 19 3:23 PM
        april 19,'01

        the white crowns have come to the feeder, they have been in my fields all winter , but now are at the feeder. the gold finches are gone.

        today a pair of ruby crowned kinglets were fly catching around my downed poplar.these are the first i have seen, well who knowns how many times i have not seen them.

        gunter, s side wa
      • Doris Robinson
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 20 2:51 PM
          --- Larry and I will be there, and I'll bring cookies!
          The Robinsonsgunter
          hadersberger <gunterr@...> wrote:
          > april 19,'01
          >
          > the white crowns have come to the feeder, they have
          > been in my fields all winter , but now are at the
          > feeder. the gold finches are gone.
          >
          > today a pair of ruby crowned kinglets were fly
          > catching around my downed poplar.these are the first
          > i have seen, well who knowns how many times i have
          > not seen them.
          >
          > gunter, s side wa

          http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        • Kerry Turley
          Message 4 of 11 , May 5, 2001
            Date: May 5, 2001
            Location: Toppenish National Wildlife Refuge, Yakima County, Washington

            Wind direction: E
            Prevailing wind speed: 12-19 km/h

            Today was Migratory Bird Day at the Toppenish NWR. Yakima Audubon Society
            was a most gracious host to the open house and  Refuge manager and
            Wildlife Biologist David Linehan took groups out on the Refuge proper
            and helped everyone have a chance to see some good birds. Although
            windy it was still a pretty good day for birding.

            Birds seen (in taxonomic order):

            Pied-billed Grebe
            American Bittern [1]
            Great Blue Heron
            Turkey Vulture [2]
            Canada Goose
            Wood Duck
            Gadwall
            American Wigeon
            Mallard
            Blue-winged Teal
            Cinnamon Teal
            Northern Shoveler
            Northern Pintail
            Green-Winged Teal
            Redhead
            Ring-necked Duck
            Lesser Scaup
            Bufflehead
            Bald Eagle
            Northern Harrier
            Sharp-shinned Hawk
            Red-tailed Hawk
            American Kestrel
            Ring-necked Pheasant
            California Quail
            Virginia Rail
            American Coot
            Killdeer
            Black-necked Stilt [3]
            American Avocet
            Greater Yellowlegs
            Lesser Yellowlegs
            Western Sandpiper
            Dunlin
            Long-billed Dowitcher [4]
            Wilson's Phalarope
            Rock Dove
            Mourning Dove
            Great Horned Owl
            Black-billed Magpie
            American Crow
            Tree Swallow
            Violet-green Swallow
            Northern Rough-winged Swallow
            Cliff Swallow
            Barn Swallow
            Marsh Wren
            Ruby-crowned Kinglet
            American Robin
            European Starling
            Yellow-rumped Warbler
            Common Yellowthroat
            Savannah Sparrow
            Song Sparrow
            White-crowned Sparrow
            Golden-crowned Sparrow
            Red-winged Blackbird
            Western Meadowlark
            Yellow-headed Blackbird
            Brewer's Blackbird
            Brown-headed Cowbird
            House Finch
            American Goldfinch

            Footnotes:

            [1]  one early in the day, three together later.
            [2]  3 each
            [3]  Good numbers of these.
            [4]  3 each gave good close looks sleeping and feeding.

            Total number of species seen: 63

            Kerry Turley
            304 E. Woodin Rd.
            Sunnyside, WA 98944
          • gunter hadersberger
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 16, 2001
              eh all,

              at mc brides on the satus this morning- the ponds lack water, top and satus creeks are low.
              birds seen:   g b heron, great egret one,  g w teal, mallards,harrier, r t hawks,kestrel, cal quail, kildeer ( most i have ever seen  between 60 to 80 )
              w sandpiper ( 10 )  l b dowitcher ( 20),  g h owl, kingfisher,  flicker ( many ),
              crow, winter wren, robin ( hundreds), starling, y r warbler, s and w c sparrows,
              d e junco, w meadowlark,     23  sp.

              gunter
              sunnyside
            • Jay.Desgrosellier@mcmail.vanderbilt.edu
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 16, 2001
                Yakkers,

                In regards to Gunter's sightings of Western Sandpiper and Long-billed
                Dowitcher. The most common peep in the Yakima Valley at this time of the
                year is Dunlin. A sighting of Western Sandpiper would be very late and
                should be fully documented. Winter plumaged birds of either species can
                look fairly similar from a distance.

                Long-billed Dowitcher on the other hand are commonly found in eastern
                Washington through the end of October so it isn't as unexpected, but this
                sighting is still a little on the late side. Common Snipe have a similar
                feeding style, but a good look at the bird should be enough to discount
                this possibility. Again, this bird should be fully documented as it
                probably represents a late date for the Yakima Valley.
                Otherwise, a late fall flock of sandpipers is an exciting find. The only
                expected species missing is Greater Yellowlegs, which sometimes stays in
                the valley through December. Keep an eye on this area Gunter, maybe one'll
                show up!

                Good Birding,

                Jay Desgrosellier
              • gunter hadersberger
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 13, 2002
                  eh,  found no grackle, from there to the s side cut off :  mile 13 about, am or water pipit, mile 22 or about , l h shrike,  mile 27, the old white hut on the left,  horned lark, and in the hut there is a large nest. there was nothing to see today but if you get there check it out.

                  why are the birds you want to see on a road with no room to stop ?????

                  gunter
                  s side
                • g.r.hadersberger
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 20, 2004
                    eh all, s- satus m-mobar

                    d c cormorant s & m
                    b c night heron m
                    w duck s
                    mallard s
                    c teal s
                    n shoveler s
                    n harrier s
                    r t hawk s
                    a kestrel s
                    c quail s
                    killdeer s
                    spotted sandpiper s
                    morning pigeon s
                    w kingbird s
                    b swallow s& m
                    a crow s
                    c ravem s
                    r w b bird s&m

                    seven(7) b c cormmoramt nests i one tree. M

                    thur may 20, sunny warm, no wind

                    gunter

                  • tyler munson
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 15, 2006
                      I took the 4-wheeler out tonight to water a newly planted oak at the upper pond, and I'm sure glad I waited till after sunset to do so. arriving on the bank I spotted the green-winged teal hen which had stayed the whole tail end of the winter, and early sprig on the pond with a boyfriend. 3 or 4 weeks ago they both dissapeared but tonight she was out there with 2 newly hatched ducklings. I thought she would have more, but the others could have been hidden in the weeds nearby. above the pond there were many bats flitting around, and one of the barn owls from the nest box flew overhead clicking and giving off a variety of high pithced remarks. as I drove off the partial albino red tail flew out of the cottonwood grove and landed in some russian olives 100 yrds. away. If you see this red tail in the daylight it is really odd looking it has mostly all white tail feathers with a few red mixed in, a speckling of white feathers on the back, and 4 white flights in the middle of
                      each wing. I'm pretty sure it's a female because it often circles with a rather dull looking red tail who is comparibly smaller. The Black Necked stilts are getting ready to nest on the dairy drainage pit across the road, and last week they were on the upper pond sifting through the algae in a shallow spot. the nest box now officially has 6 barn owl chicks ranging from a very large and aggressive 5 week old, and tapering down to a little 2 week old. 2 weeks ago I recieved a batch of 9 mallard eggs when a grape vineyard was being torn out at the prosser WSU research station. 2 of the eggs have succesfully hatched while 2 did not. Others are hatching as I write this. the pheasant eggs I recieved are only 1 week into their incubation, but I'll keep you updated. there has been many white and gold crowned sparrows still at the feeders, although the number of white crowns has dropped quite a bit, the number of gold crowns has actually risen. there is also a cassin's finch, and 2
                      male house finches, 1red and the other orange. a swarm of 4-5 thousand honey bees drifted across the farm yesterday before finally entering a hollow limb on the 100+ yr. old cottonwood, the same limb a pair of barn owls nested in last year. I have to say if any owls decide they want to live there I'll steer clear of them because they have to be pretty tough to go inside. also we have had an occasional hummingbird drift through, some of which find the feeder, but they don't stick around long. the only one who did not have the sun sillougheting it, I ended up missing, but my grandma IDd it as a Caliope - if I spelled that right. last friday there was a baltimore oriel in the yakinsburg canyon (Yakima or Ellensburg) and a prainie falcon.

                      Is this message long enough?

                      Tyler Munson

                    • tyler munson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 7, 2006
                        Hey birders,
                        2 weeks ago I saw a burrowing owl on a post just off of the road near othello.
                        last weekend I stopped by the Othello WSU research station which was only 1/2 a mile from my previous sighting. as soon as I pulled off the road, there flew an owl into a nearby alfalpha field, then up onto the entrance sign. I got a quick photo before it again flew off. driving around we counted a total of 11 owls 1 was a fuzzy chick who ventured out while the parents stood guard at the entrance. another was a fledgling.
                        there is a pintail hen with about 8 chicks on the canal (the Sunnyside Ca.) above our place. and the kingbirds are attempting to nest on some power poles across the road. the barn owl chicks (still 6 left) will be hard pinned and ready to fly in just a few weeks. I have some pretty good photos, but no way to post them to show them off. I could send them individually but that would take forever. If I had a better-working camera, the photos would be much better. But when something rattles around when you shake it, you know it's not doing very well.

                        Tyler Munson

                      • Linda Miller
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 8, 2010
                          My husband went walking with our dogs today through the gap and saw two grown canada geese with their young,  the great blue heron that is always there,  two pelicans, a white egret, and one otter.  I missed it all.  Just wait, none of them will be there tomorrow.