Ferruginous Hawk near Grandview?

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2004

      My wife and I were driving back to Yakima from the Tri-Cities this afternoon, when driving on I-82 between the two Grandview exits I thought I saw a Ferruginous Hawk sitting on a power pole on the north side of the freeway. It was facing me as I saw it - it had a white breast, the underside of the tail was white and the wings and back seemed to be the rufousy-buckskin color of Ferruginous Hawk. I turned around at the west Grandview exit but couldn't find the hawk again. Andy's book says they should be back starting the first of March, so this one would be right on target. Keep your eyes open.

      The reason for our trip to the Tri-Cities was to try to see the juvenile -plumaged Yellow-bellied Sapsucker that has been hanging out at Hood Park south of Pasco. I had given up and was heading for another park when Nancy LaFramboise called me saying she and her husband Bill had located the bird. In the next hour I was able to get some good photos of it, two of which are in the new photos folder on my website.

      Denny

      * Denny Granstrand *
      * Yakima, WA *
      * dgranstrand@... *