Pelicans and peregrines

  • Deb Davis & Ken Bevis
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2004
      Quack. ken here.

      Pelicans: I have seen flocks of them on islands in the Hanford reach in
      january in past years.
      Osprey: Saw one flying along the Yakima River near Satus Creek on
      Saturday, 12/27 (same on Scott saw?)
      Ducks: On Yakima River today saw mostly mallards, a few teal, widgeon,
      swans (tundra?), and one pintail. I think some migrants have arrived with
      this set of winter storms.

      Coastal visit: Just returned from short visit to Moclips, with beach walks
      in sun and then snow. Bird highlights included many many busy sanderlings
      and dunlin along the wave edges. Yellow rumped warblers in the low brush
      along the bluff base. Is that unusual? Bald eagles. Brown creeper.
      And we watched several peregrines along the beach. Twice we saw them flying
      low (only 2-3 feet up) buzzing the shorebirds along the water, flushing
      them as they went. did not see them catch any. it was amazing how fast
      they are. And one was perched on a tree branch that was sticking out of
      the sand, about 3 feet up. We passed only 30 yards away or so, and got a
      great look at it. Dark with streaks on the breast.

      Question: What would be a medium sized shorebird (slightly bigger than
      killdeer) that would set it's wings and as it flies towards you (or your
      duck decoys) looks like a teal, and when it turns (no I did not shoot (at)
      them) had a white stripe up the back?

      Question: Why aren't there very many birds at my feeder this season? It
      seems the numbers of finches is down considerably.

      and the neighborhood screech owl was calling last Friday evening.

      Ken Bevis

      ----------
      > From: S c o t t R a y <mryakima@...>
      > To: BirdYak@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: RE: [BirdYak] Pelicans
      > Date: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 12:18 AM
      >
      > Hi Jeff,
      >
      > American White Pelicans are resident in Washington, albeit in somewhat
      > smaller numbers probably, during the winter months.
      >
      > S c o t t R a y
      > 10 miles east of Yakima

    • Andy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2004
        Ken,

        Nice report ...from all over. About the warblers: most along the outer coast
        are Myrtle Yellow-rumps, from east of the Rockies. The come to the coast
        specifically to feast on fruits of wax myrtle bushes. These shrubs or small
        trees range from California to central Washington (outliers on west
        Vancouver Island). Almost everywhere in the coastal belt where they occur,
        Myrtle Warblers find them and winter. A similar species of wax myrtle on the
        Atlantic coast attracts legions of these warblers (and wintering Tree
        Swallows).

        Your shorebird sounds like a dowitcher.

        Happy New Year.

        Andy