Re: [BirdYak] Slate Junco

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2004
      Mac,
      I'd guess "Slate-colored" Juncos occur here in a ratio of about 1:250 with
      "Oregon" Dark-eyed Juncos. I think close scrutiny of some of our
      Slate-colored would reveal they show Oregon parentage, those with some trace
      of buffy on their backs are the ones. Slate-coloreds breed east of the
      Canadian Rockies north to Alaska and east to the Atlantic. The "blend" zone
      between the two is in the Canadian Rockies from Banff to Jasper National
      Parks (more or less).

      Andy