Horse Heaven Hills Saturday 13 December

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2003

      Ellen and I ventured up into the Horse Heaven Hills this morning and birded for about four hours in the Yakima County area of these hills south of Mabton. It rained some, it blew some, but we saw lots of birds. Snow cover is pretty general now, a big change from my last survey on the same route 27 November. Here's what we saw:

      Northern Harrier - 6
      Red-tailed Hawk - 9
      Rough-legged Hawk - 13
      American Kestrel - 11
      California Quail - 20
      Killdeer - 1
      Mourning Dove - 45, most near grain elevators
      Downy Woodpecker - 1
      Northern Flicker - 3
      Horned Lark - 4000
      Black-billed Magpie - 5
      Common Raven - 15
      Townsend's Solitaire - 2, junipers along County Line Road
      American Robin - 100 "
      Cedar Waxwing - 20 "
      Northern Shrike - 7
      European Starling - 5