On the YTC on Sunday, Golden highlight

  • Jeff Kozma
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2003
      I was out "quail watching" on the YTC in Cold Creek yesterday. I started out at Greely Pond where the highlight was a soaring adult Golden Eagle being watched closely by 2 soaring Common Ravens. After traversing around parts of Cold Creek and find numerous gut piles from harvested deer, I then realized why the presence of the Golden Eagle. Although not a vulture, they do eat carrion, especially in winter. Other birds seen (not many) were:

      Northern Harrier (numerous)
      Red-tailed Hawk (2)
      American Kestrel (3)
      California Quail (15)
      Downy Woodpecker
      Common Raven (4)
      Black-billed Magpie (numerous, also feeding on deer gut piles)
      Northern Shrike (2)
      Song Sparrow
      Dark-eyed Junco (15-20 in one flock)
      American Goldfinch
      House Finch

      And yes, I brought my binoculars this time.

      Also, we have had up to 2 Sharp-shinned Hawks and 1 Kestrel hunting the feeders in our Terrace Heights neighborhood for about the last two weeks (I have seen the 2 sharpies together birds together). On Thursday, we watched an adult sharpie trying to flush birds out of our neighbors vine covered trellis next to their feeders. The hawk would fly around and fly into the vine trying to flush birds. I have seen this done in the NE where one Sharpie would fly through a thicket of conifers to flush birds while a second individual would pick off the birds as they left the conifers. However, in this instance, I did not see a second individual.

      Good birding everyone.