Around Yakima County

  • Kerry Turley
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2003
      Date: November 30, 2003

      Yakkers,

      I spent the morning bouncing around Yakima County today. Started at
      the Yakima Arboretum "sparrow patch" hoping to see the possible Red
      Fox Sparrow but to no avail. Denny was also there hoping to get a
      good photo.

      The sparrow patch did have a lot of activity though and I tallied 21
      species while standing there, including the lone SNOW GOOSE that is
      hanging with the CANADA GEESE, and along with the normal assortment
      of Sparrows, Spotted Towhees and HOUSE FINCHES was a BEWICK'S WREN
      and in with the many OREGON race of DARK-EYED JUNCOS were 2 of the
      SLATE COLOURED race.

      I also had 4 - NORTHERN SHRIKE 1 along Thorp Rd., 1 along Pumphouse
      Rd., 1 at the Toppenish National Wildlife Refuge, 1 along Indian
      Church Rd.

      Birds seen (in taxonomic order):
      Pied-billed Grebe
      Great Blue Heron
      Snow Goose - Arboretum
      Canada Goose
      Wood Duck
      American Wigeon
      Mallard
      Northern Shoveler
      Northern Pintail
      Green-Winged Teal
      Common Merganser
      Bald Eagle 1 Mature bird along Yakima River at Buchannan Lake, 1 Immature
      flew over the sparrow patch.
      Northern Harrier
      Sharp-shinned Hawk along Thorp Rd.
      Cooper's Hawk
      Red-tailed Hawk
      American Kestrel
      Prairie Falcon at Sunnyside in same area as the Peregrin was seen this week,
      much
      lighter colored bird.
      California Quail
      American Coot
      Rock Dove
      Mourning Dove
      Barn Owl in the riparian area, Lateral "C" Rd. and Toppenish Creek.
      Belted Kingfisher
      Northern Flicker
      Northern Shrike
      Black-billed Magpie
      Common Raven
      Black-capped Chickadee
      Bewick's Wren
      Marsh Wren
      American Robin
      European Starling
      Spotted Towhee
      Fox Sparrow
      Song Sparrow
      White-crowned Sparrow
      Golden-crowned Sparrow
      Dark-eyed Junco - 2 were Slate Coloured Race
      Red-winged Blackbird
      Western Meadowlark
      Brewer's Blackbird
      House Finch