Townsend's Solitaire

  • Jim Briggs
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2001

      Fellow Birdyakers...

      What's the chance that I saw a Townsend's solitaire in Yakima Canyon on March 1?  It was just across the tracks at the Umptanum Recreation Area, in the top af a mid-sized tree.  I can't find anything else that has the field marks and could possibly be here this time of year.

      Jim Briggs
    • osprey@nwinfo.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 5, 2001
        Several other birders have reported seeing Townsend's Solitaires in the
        Yakima Canyon in the past few days. You are most probably correct in your
        identification. Good work!

        Denny

        >Fellow Birdyakers...
        >
        >What's the chance that I saw a Townsend's solitaire in Yakima Canyon on
        March 1? It was just across the tracks at the Umptanum Recreation Area, in
        the top af a mid-sized tree. I can't find anything else that has the field
        marks and could possibly be here this time of year.

        >Jim Briggs
        * * * * * * * * * * *
        * Denny Granstrand *
        * Yakima, WA *
        * osprey@... *
        * * * * * * * * * * *
      • Scott Downes
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2004
          Yakkers,
          Sitting at the computer working at home just now had a Townsend's Solitaire
          fly into the tree in the neighbors yard and perch on top. Forgive me if I'm
          still learning bird abundances in the county, but seemed unusual to me for
          the city in the winter and checked Andy's book and listed at uncommon/rare
          in the winter. Nice bird anyhow to brighten up a computer work session.Our
          neighborhood is off 16th and Summitview for those interested.

          Scott Downes
        • Michael J Roper
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 3, 2004
            I had one in my Mountain Ash tree yesterday. It was the first time I've
            noticed one in my yard. I've probably been passing them off as Robins.
            I've also had a White-throated Sparrow at my feeder recently, another
            yard bird 1st. I've probably beed passed them off as female white crowned
            sparrows. I guess it pays to look a little closer sometimes.
            Mike Roper
            Terrace Heights

            On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 11:16:12 -0800 "Scott Downes" <downess@...>
            writes:
            > Yakkers,
            > Sitting at the computer working at home just now had a Townsend's
            > Solitaire
            > fly into the tree in the neighbors yard and perch on top. Forgive me
            > if I'm
            > still learning bird abundances in the county, but seemed unusual to
            > me for
            > the city in the winter and checked Andy's book and listed at
            > uncommon/rare
            > in the winter. Nice bird anyhow to brighten up a computer work
            > session.Our
            > neighborhood is off 16th and Summitview for those interested.
            >
            > Scott Downes
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Jeff Kozma
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5, 2007
              I spotted a Townsend's Solitaire perched in a birch tree at the corner
              of Lockhart Rd. and Hillcrest Dr. in Terrace Heights this morning.

              Jeff Kozma

            • Jan Gano
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 12, 2010
                To might delight, I just discovered a pair of Townsend's Solitaires at our water feature. New yard bird at 56th and Lincoln.

                We probably need to keep a better eye on the water thingy.

                Jan

              • CMCYAKIMA@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 12, 2010
                  Water features are a magnet.

                  I was delighted late Saturday within a 10 minute time span to tally off the following coming into the water course for a drink and /or bath:
                  house sparrow
                  song sparrows
                  white crown sparrow
                  house finch
                  goldfinch
                  pine siskin
                  robin
                  quail
                  mourning doves
                  Eurasian doves
                  cedar waxwings
                  RW blackbirds
                  Oregon junco

                  Busy watering hole!

                  Bev in Selah

                • Scott R a y
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 12, 2010
                    Townsend's Solitaires must be moving through right now. We have three in
                    our yard today too, as well as a male Red-naped Sapsucker and a bunch of
                    Cliff Swallows.

                    East of Yakima

                    Scott R a y
                    Yakima, WA
                    mryakima at gmail dot com

                    On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Jan Gano <gano12@...> wrote:

                    > To might delight, I just discovered a pair of Townsend's Solitaires at our
                    > water feature. New yard bird at 56th and Lincoln.
                    >
                    > We probably need to keep a better eye on the water thingy.
                    >
                    > Jan

                  • golddogx2
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 13, 2015

                      May 8th 2015, Me and Jim ran into this guy while looking for Black Backed Woodpeckers. If you want to go see him here are the coords. Jeff, Yakima, wa.

                      N 46°47.55774'", W 121°2.92812'" Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest National Forest Development Road 1503 Naches, WA 98937 2015-05-13 19:44:44 GMT-07:00 http://mapcoordinates.co.nf/?q=46.79262871067095,-121.04880228638648