bird sightings needed

  • osprey@nwinfo.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 25, 2001

      I need some bird sightings to report in the bird alert in the Yakima
      Herald-Republic this week. I will be writing the report by 9:00 pm Monday
      evening so if you saw some birds - any birds, they don't have to be
      spectacular- please send them on to us or to me. And that means you, too,
      Larry Robinson!

      Thanks,

      Denny
      * * * * * * * * * * *
      * Denny Granstrand *
      * Yakima, WA *
      * osprey@... *
      * * * * * * * * * * *
    • Doris Robinson
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 26, 2001
        Okay, Denny, here goes:
        We have observed in the last week or so, white headed
        woodpeckers, red crossbills(up the 1600 road about a
        mile, high up in the pine trees),golden crowned
        kinglets, many white and red breasted nuthatches,
        evening grosbeaks, yesterday the towhees arrived. The
        number of goldfinches, pine siskins, juncos, etc. have
        diminished(maybe due to the warmer sunny days?) We'll
        see what happens if another storm comes our way. We
        also have seen three red-tailed hawks. The jays are
        as numerous as ever(they love all those homemade suet
        cakes. Still lots of chickadees too.
        --There! Larry was really unhappy that he missed out
        on the rosy finches Saturday. He did't go because he
        thought Andy was sick and maybe would go back home and
        take it easy. Should have known better.
        Larry Robinson(per his
        secretary

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • BirdAHikes@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 26, 2001
          Denny,

          Bob Mittelstaedt and I drove to Seattle yesterday and saw chuckar in the
          Yakima Canyon (two running across the roadway at this end of the Canyon), we
          also saw one lone swan near the Cle Elum exit (too far away to tell if a
          Tundra or Trumpeter). Also saw the usual but beautiful Bald Eagles along the
          river and Common Merganser in the river.

          Maia
        • osprey@nwinfo.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 26, 2001
            I only have a few bird sightings to write about for this week's bird alert
            for the Herald-Republic. Please send yours before 8:00 tonight so I can
            include them.

            Thanks,

            Denny
            * * * * * * * * * * *
            * Denny Granstrand *
            * Yakima, WA *
            * osprey@... *
            * * * * * * * * * * *
          • Gaylord Mink
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 26, 2001
              Denny:

              Spent some time at Satus WRA this morning before the winds blew me out.
              Several of the ponds are nearly dry. On those few with water there were
              500-600 Northern Pintails, maybe 100 Mallards, close to 50 Green Winged Teal,
              and 12 Ring-necked Ducks. Between 9 and 11 AM there probably 5000+ Canada
              Geese flying over the Yakima River and portions of Satus.

              Most of the morning was spent watching and trying to get some decent video of
              seven Bald Eagles that have been around the area for much of the past 3-4
              weeks. On occasions two or more birds would put on interesting aerial
              displays; once all seven circled together over a portion of the river in a
              diffuse group almost like Turkey Vultures. Two eagles appear to be full
              adults with complete white head and tails. ( I have filmed them earlier in
              this same area). Two of the sub adults had whitish coloring on their heads
              and bodies suggesting 2-3 year olds. The other three were mostly dark, two
              with various degrees of white mottling on their bodies.

              Partially because of the wind and their seemingly reluctance to perch for any
              length of time I wasn't able to get much video except for some fly overs and a
              few distance shots.

              I wonder if one of these young birds (perhaps the one less mottled) was the
              one I filmed last year as it fledged from a nest along the Yakima not too far
              from Satus. According to Tracy Hames, Wildlife Biologist with the Yakama
              Nation, this was the first young eagle fledged along this portion of the
              Yakima River since about 1902. If that is the case I wonder where the other
              four young birds were fledged.

              I would appreciate any information anyone is willing to share on eagle
              nestings or other activities in the area.

              Thanks
              Gaylord Mink
              http://www.angelfire.com/wa/minkgi

              osprey@... wrote:

              > I only have a few bird sightings to write about for this week's bird alert
              > for the Herald-Republic. Please send yours before 8:00 tonight so I can
              > include them.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Denny
              > * * * * * * * * * * *
              > * Denny Granstrand *
              > * Yakima, WA *
              > * osprey@... *

            • John Hebert
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 26, 2001
                Looks like I missed the deadline, but I saw a long-billed curlew in a field
                between mile post 23 and 24 on Hwy 24 on Sunday. That is one of
                Andy's favorite spots for horned larks and longspurs. Good luck,

                John Hebert

              • osprey@nwinfo.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 25, 2001

                  I need some bird sighting reports to include in the bird alert for the
                  Yakima paper by this evening.

                  Thanks,

                  Denny
                  * * * * * * * * * * *
                  * Denny Granstrand *
                  * Yakima, WA *
                  * osprey@... *
                  * * * * * * * * * * *
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 24, 2002

                    I will be needing some bird sightings for the Bird Alert, which I will write
                    tomorrow night, especially from Richard Repp and John Hebert on their
                    Audubon field trips.

                    Thanks,

                    Denny
                    * * * * * * * * * * *
                    * Denny Granstrand *
                    * Yakima, WA *
                    * osprey@... *
                    * * * * * * * * * * *
                  • John Hebert
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 24, 2002
                      Denny, the weather cooperated and we had a very successful
                      trip to the leks on the Yakima Training Center. I was told by our
                      guide that the Seattle group also had a very successful trip on
                      Saturday. Both trips started slow with the sighting of one or two
                      male Sage grouse on the first lek and then around 15 males
                      on the second one. Females were in short supply and/or much
                      more illusive. The highlight for us human observers but perhaps a
                      low point for the grouse was the arrival of a Golden eagle.
                      As the eagle flew nearby most of the grouse took off and we had a
                      great view of them in-flight. The folks with the Department of the
                      Interior and the Army were all very helpful and gracious.
                      We did not spend much time looking for other birds. Especially when
                      the sound of machine gunfire drowned out the sound of the Horned
                      larks. Chau,

                      John J. Hebert
                      jhebert@...

                    • Sturnella@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 25, 2002
                        Hi

                        A Rough-legged Hawk was soaring and hovering over my hillside this morning.
                        March 25.

                        Debie
                      • Kathleen Ross
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 25, 2002
                          We are going into the 4th week of having a "resident" Townsend's Solitaire
                          in the juniper bush beside our house in downtown Wapato. (Denny - maybe not
                          significant for your report, but in case you are short--I'm sending this
                          on.) The insistent and intermittent "heep" occurs for most of the early
                          morning, as the bird gives its call in between each bite of juniper berry.
                          Is there any way to tell the whether our bird is a male or female?
                          Kathleen Ross

                          > I will be needing some bird sightings for the Bird Alert, which I will
                          write
                          > tomorrow night, especially from Richard Repp and John Hebert on their
                          > Audubon field trips.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > Denny
                          > * * * * * * * * * * *
                          > * Denny Granstrand *
                          > * Yakima, WA *
                          > * osprey@... *

                        • Deb Davis & Ken Bevis
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 26, 2002
                            If anyone wants to see and hear canyon wrens, hike up the Umptanum. I
                            walked about 3 miles yesterday, and both sides of the creek had wrens
                            singing away. They can be hard to spot, but watch for them flitting in the
                            talus. Also saw Stellar's jays, chickadees, spotted towhees, kingfishers,
                            kestrels, ravens, some kind of swallow building nests, flickers, red-tailed
                            hawks. And a pile of feathers from a goose--probably eaten by a golden
                            eagle.

                            Happy Spring!
                            Deb