Saturday in Selah Creek, YTC

  • Jeff Kozma
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2003

      I was out "Quail Watching" on Saturday in Selah Creek just down from the old
      Range Control Building on the Yakima Training Center. This area is now known as
      the Selah Canyon Preserve. Not too many birds seen, but some noteworthy such as
      Virginia Rail and Canyon Wren:

      Virginia Rail (1, calling)
      Northern Harrier
      Red-tailed Hawk
      American Kestrel
      California Quail
      Great-horned Owl (3)
      Northern Flicker
      Horned Lark
      Rock Wren (1)
      Canyon Wren (1) (excellent look at this usually shy bird, foraging in the
      riparian area, first time seen one here on the YTC)
      Common Raven
      Black-billed Magpie
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet
      Varied Thrush (1)