Sunday at Zimmerman's

  • Jeff Kozma
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2003
      I was out "duck watching" on Sunday morning at Zimmerman's and actually saw more
      other birds than just ducks..unfortunately.

      American Bittern (1)
      Double-crested Cormorant
      Great Blue Heron
      Tundra Swan (1) adult
      Canada Goose
      Mallard
      Green-winged Teal
      Northern Pintail
      Northern Shoveler
      Bufflehead (2)
      Killdeer (2)
      Long-billed Dowitcher (5) (thought they were Greater Yellow Legs, but didn't
      have binos...thanks Kerry)
      Wilson's Snipe (4)
      Northern Harrier
      Cooper's Hawk (1)
      Red-tailed Hawk
      American Kestrel (1)
      California Quail
      Ring-necked Pheasant
      Rock Dove
      Mourning Dove
      Great-horned Owl (2)
      Belted Kingfisher
      Northern Flicker
      Downy Woodpecker (1)
      Black-billed Magpie
      American Crow
      Common Raven
      Marsh Wren
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet
      European Starling
      American Robin
      Northern Shrike (1 very vocal, immature bird that coughed up a pellet!)
      American Pipit
      Yellow-rumped Warbler
      White-crowned Sparrow
      Song Sparrow
      Western Meadowlark
      Red-winged Blackbird
      Brewer's Blackbird
      House Finch
      American Goldfinch

      42 species.

      Jeff

    • Deb Davis & Ken Bevis
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 28, 2003
        Ken here
        I might add that I was sitting right next to Jeff for much of the morning
        last sunday, and I didn't see most of this stuff he mentions!
        Was I asleep?.

        addon, others in the group saw a family of 4 otters swimming in the SE
        pond, close to Toppenish Creek. too cool. I wonder if an increase in such
        sightings is relative to the end of trapping?

        Also, I fear the mystery cygnets to be mutes...... no data, suspicion.
        Denny/Andy/otherexperts - have we ever had a group of juvenile trumpeters
        show up around here? without any adults? that seems too weird. If they
        are mutes, we might have to do a hit on them..... Hey Guido.... you out
        der?
        and if they are trumpeters, what a great place!