American Golden-Plover still at Wenas Lake

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2003

      I went up to Wenas Lake again this afternoon but didn't get there before Richard did. Richard had located nine Long-billed Dowitchers, Killdeer and Wilson's Snipe. Richard was leaving when I got there but decided to extend his stay. Shortly after we got to the mudflats, an American Golden-Plover flew in.

      We first saw the golden-plover from the northwest end of the lake. Actually, we were at the northwest area and it was at the north tip of the lake. After a all-too brief observation, it flew to the southeast end of the lake. There is a small area of mudflat there. Just as the sun was setting, I drove along the road going south from the cafe and found it again. I was able to get some good photos.

      In comparing them to the photos I took yesterday, I think it is possible that this is a different golden-plover than we saw yesterday. I have sent the photos to Andy for his thoughts.

      I have all of the photos on my website (address below). You can decide for yourself. I will be interested to hear comments from those who will offer them.

      Denny

      * Denny Granstrand *
      * Yakima, WA *
      * dgranstrand@... *