Lower Valley Sunday

  • Kerry Turley
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2003
      I spent a few hours today looking for shorebirds along Marion Drain Rd. The
      only shorebirds I could find were at the Zimmerman Ponds at Marion Dr. and
      Lateral "A" Rd.

      There were 5 GREATER YELLOWLEGS 4 were in juvenal plumage, very crisp and
      bright 1 was an adult in very worn breeding plumage, with them were 4
      juvenile LESSER SANDPIPERS and 1 juvenile BAIRD'S SANDPIPER. There was also
      a 1 GREAT EGRET on the pond. This was notably the best stop of the day.

      The pasture at Old Goldendale Rd. and Marion Drain Rd. is flooded but only
      had a handful of KILLDEER, several dozen BREWER'S BLACKBIRDS, and 6+
      SAVANNAH SPARROWS, this field deserves watching as it sometimes produces
      good shorebirds. I also had 2 EASTERN KINGBIRDS along the Marion Dr., won't
      be long and they'll be moving on.

      Birds seen (in taxonomic order):

      Pied-billed Grebe
      Double-crested Cormorant