Yakima Co. Shorebirds

  • Kerry Turley
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2003
      Date: August 17, 2003
      Location: Yakima County, Washington

      Hey y'all
      I spent the morning mainly looking for shorebirds, I found one LESSER
      YELLOWLEGS with lots of BROWN-HEADED COWBIRDS and several KILLDEER in the
      flooded pasture along Marion Drain Rd. just west of Old Goldendale Rd.

      I scoped Zimmerman ponds from the road, but didn't venture in as they had
      traps set for ducks (some already full) and I didn't want to chance
      disturbing them.

      I then ventured up to Wenas Lake and scoped the mud flats on the west end of
      the lake. Water is still pretty high so there isn't a lot of mud to try to
      cover. Birds of note here were 13 WILSON'S SNIPE, 1 LESSER YELLOWLEGS, 4
      WESTERN SANDPIPER, 1 LEAST SANDPIPER, and 2 GREAT EGRETS. Note: Evening has
      much better light for birding Wenas Lake and middle of the day definately
      not the best.

      Birds seen (in taxonomic order):

      Pied-billed Grebe - 2 at Zimmerman Ponds at Marion Dr. Rd. and Lateral "A"
      Rd.
      Double-crested Cormorant - 2 at Wenas Lake
      Great Blue Heron
      Great Egret - 2 at Wenas Lake
      Turkey Vulture
      Canada Goose
      Mallard
      Osprey - 1 at Wenas Lake
      Northern Harrier
      Red-tailed Hawk
      American Kestrel
      Ring-necked Pheasant
      California Quail
      American Coot
      Killdeer
      Lesser Yellowlegs - 1 at Marion Dr. and 1 at Wenas Lake
      Western Sandpiper - Wenas Lake
      Least Sandpiper - Wenas Lake
      Common Snipe - Wenas Lake
      Rock Dove
      Mourning Dove
      Belted Kingfisher - Wenas Lake
      Northern Flicker
      Western Wood-Pewee
      Western Kingbird
      Eastern Kingbird
      Loggerhead Shrike - 1 at Old Goldendale Rd.
      Black-billed Magpie
      Common Raven
      Tree Swallow
      Northern Rough-winged Swallow