Strange Birds

  • lupo_10
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2003
      I have spent a good share of my like on or near the Yakima River.
      Mostly below the Sunnyside Dam to Mabton. This morning I saw a bird
      that was compleaty strange to me. Maybe some one can help me identify
      them. There were five. I saw the first two just below the railroad
      bridge. The next two a few yards farther down stream and one by its
      self about a quarter mile below the bridge.They looked to be solid
      black about the size of a goose but probably only weighing one thirds
      as much. I only got to see the single take off, but he was swiming in
      the middle of the river, when he took off it was quick there was no
      slow flapping of the wings he was in full flight almost immediatly
      just skimming the surface, but when he escalated to a very high
      elevation very fast in only a few seconds. They headed south and
      never looked back. When in flight their neck and head were very
      straight and their feet and legs were tucked under their rather long
      tail. Their wing span looks to be about the same as a goose. They
      really looked like a flying black stick.
    • Gaylord Mink
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2003
        Sounds like double crested cormorants which have become increasingly common
        along that stretch of the river as well as on the nearby Byron Ponds. I see
        them frequently in this area.
        Gaylord Mink