Re: Mesatchee Creek

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2003
      Hi Rich,

      I rather doubt White-throated and Vaux's Swifts feed their young but once a day, as these two species seem to forage in proximity (relatively speaking, it can be up to 10 miles away I imagine) to their nest site. But once a day feedings is pretty well documented for the Black Swift. I think the nestling Blacks even can go into torpor during the day to reduce their energy requirements. That might be a good reason for the long fledging period for this species. It allows this species to literally fly back and forth across the Cascades daily plus fly all day long capturing insects. A concentration of Black Swifts isin the Newhalem area along SR-20 (west of the Cascade crest). On days with inclement weather, these birds probably fly east down the Methow Valley as far as the Columbia River, sometimes even to Grand Coulee!

      Yes, they do regurgitate. Take a look at Sibley p. 291.