Butterfly Trip

  • Mac Knight
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2003
      We want to say thanks to Andy and Jim for allowing us to accompany them on the butterfly trip on Saturday. We found an amazing number of butterflies. We had a very good time and got some excellent photos.

      It must have been a good trip, since we didn't get home until 5:00 or so.

      We didn't keep a list, but it would be nice to know how many butterfly types we saw and see a list of their names. We remembered many of them, especially the ones in the photos.

      Very enjoyable and thanks to Andy for allowing us to go and Jim for the excellent guiding.

      Mac Knight
      http://www.macknight.addr.com

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2003
        Mac,

        Here's a preliminary list of butterflies we found on Saturday at Bethel
        Ridge and lower Oak Creek. I will annotate this list more thoroughly as I
        find the time.

        BUTTERFLIES IN THE TIETON

        Local butterfly expert Jim Christensen led an Audubon fieldtrip into the
        Tieton River area to study these beautiful creatures. The first area we
        visited was the edge of Bethel Ridge, an area of lithosol and steppe
        vegetation, though at 6,000 feet. Next, the meadows and wet areas en route
        to Timberwolf Mountain were checked, this habitat added five or so species.
        Finally, low elevation riparian habitats along Oak Creek, yielded yet a
        different array of species.

        Common Branded Skipper - wet area in lower Oak Creek
        Woodland Skipper - wet area in lower Oak Creek
        Clodius Parnassian - Bethel Ridge
        Anise Swallowtail - Bethel Ridge, Timberwolf Lookout
        Indra Swallowtail - Bethel Ridge
        Pale Tiger Swallowtail - Bethel Ridge
        Becker's White - wet area in lower Oak Creek
        Western White - Bethel Ridge
        Sara's Orangetip - lower Oak Creek
        Orange Sulphur - lower Oak Creek
        Western Sulphur - Bethel Ridge
        Blue Copper
        Brown Elfin
        Western Tailed Blue
        Square-spotted Blue
        Pacific Dotted Blue
        Arrowhead Blue
        Silvery Blue
        Greenish Blue
        Boisduval's Blue
        Coronis Fritillary - widespread and common
        Calippe Fritillary
        Hydaspe Fritillary
        Edith's Checkerspot - widespread and common
        Satyr Anglewing
        Zephyr Anglewing
        Milbert's Tortoiseshell - Bethel Ridge
        West Coast Lady