Bobolinks Back on Lateral C

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2003

      After a morning of yard work, I rewarded myself with a quick trip to the
      Lower Valley. As no one had reported on the Bobolinks this spring, I went down to
      specifically look for them along Lateral C. They were on the east side of
      the road two or three power poles north of the bridge that is just north of
      Toppenish Creek.

      Shortly after spotting the first male, I observed two males in a spirited
      chase that fizzled out into a friendly glide as they set down 50 yards apart.
      They were 75 yards east of the road and provided the only decent binos look. I
      had a view more views through the scope at close to 300 yards after that. As
      usual, the males tend to pop up and down...I never had more than two birds
      located at any single time. As scattered as my view locations were, I'm guessing
      there were at least 6 to 8 males active in the pasture. I didn't see any
      females. Mid-afternoon probably isn't the best time to census birds of any
      flavor.

      Afterwards, I went out to Fort Simcoe to try to relocate the Western Scrub
      Jays but didn't have any success. An internet resource states that they "may be
      secretive and silent around its nest." They were getting that way close to
      the Birdathon on May 10. Another source lists a 15 day incubation and 18 days
      to fledge. It may, therefore, be close to three weeks before a fledgling
      makes an appearance. Has anyone seen the jays since the 10th? Hopefully, they
      are in the nesting stage but they may have slipped out of the area.

    • Sue Ericksen
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2003
        Rich, we're planning on being out at Fort Simcoe Saturday and will try to
        find the jays.

        Bill & Sue