White Pass Highway Sunday May 4

    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2003
      WHITE PASS HIGHWAY

      Ellen and I and Brian Bell birded lower elevations of the White Pass Highway
      today, encountering good numbers of birds in the variety of forest types
      along the way.

      We began on the Old Naches Road. Warblers were moving west along the canal
      bank trail here (0.1 mile north of junction of US-12 and SR-410). We saw
      Orange-crowned (3), Nashville (3), Yellow-rumped (40), and Townsend's (2)
      Warblers here plus both Golden-crowned (1), and White-crowned (10) Sparrows.
      Over the cliffs south of the Naches River were a few White-throated Swifts
      and Violet-green Swallows. Scanning Cleman Mountain, we saw no raptors and
      noted only one bird, a calling Say's Phoebe. Across SR-410 in the Garry Oak
      groves were several Lewis's Woodpeckers. We commented this was a really nice
      birding trail through numbers of birds weren't exceptionally high today.

      The trail up Bear Canyon is a lovely walk, indeed, in a gorge rimmed by tall
      cliffs. Garry Oak, Douglas-fir, Ponderosa Pine, and Quaking Aspen are the
      common trees in the canyon, but an array of fruiting shrubs and other plants
      make this a rich habitat for birds. Here we tallied Vaux's Swift, one
      Hammond's Flycatcher, Steller's Jay, Clark's Nutcracker, one Canyon Wren and
      Townsend's Solitaire, Nashville (8+) Warblers, Spotted Towhee, and Chipping
      Sparrows. Again, we noted this was a productive birding trail, though we
      were early in the season and quite a number of birds were not in evidence.

      Along US-12 at milepost 176 was a pair of Harlequin Ducks resting on a
      boulder in the roiling Naches River.

      Next on our trip was a drive up to Lost Lake (FR-1201). Several Cassin's
      Vireos and numbers (10 or so) of Townsend's Warblers were on territory
      singing, even though it was coolish and blustery. Farther along Tieton Road
      we made a left onto FR-1202 and in a third of a mile stopped by a swampy
      area and set off on foot into the woods. A ten-minute walk brought us to a
      series of swampy small lakes surrounded by marsh and aspen groves. We found
      lots of birds on this circuit, including Canada Geese, Wood Duck (4),
      Green-winged Teal, Mallard, and Ring-necked Duck. Notable forest birds here
      included a pair of Williamson's Sapsuckers. Both sexes were on separate live
      Ponderosa Pines. They had drilled lots of wells in these trees and were
      quietly probing for sap.

      Clear Lake had lots of duck action. We scoped Ring-necked (30), Barrow's
      Goldeneye (15), Bufflehead (2), and Hooded (1) and Common (10 Mergansers
      from shore here. Finally, at the east end of Rimrock Lake, we noted Common
      Loon and Osprey.

      Species list:

      Common Loon
      Turkey Vulture