Pelicans

  • Sue Ericksen
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2003

      Bill & I saw about 24 American White Pelicans flying over I-82 just north
      of the Wapato exit yesterday. What a gorgeous sighting.

      As Andy noted, the Bank Swallows have returned. The Sunnyside Irrigation
      District destroyed all of last year's nests and they are having to rebuild.
      The good news is that there appears to be more room for them to build in.

      We saw our first House Wren April 14. That's the earliest ever. Our
      earliest date prior to that was May 8. A second wren showed up yesterday.

      "Our" Red Tails hatched about a week ago and we finally saw a chick.

      Our Kestrels are expected to hatch in a few days.

      The White Crowns are still hanging around.

      Sue
      Sawyer
    • Jeff Kozma
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2003
        Yesterday, I saw what I think were about 5-10 White Pelicans along the Yakima
        River just before the HWY 12/Naches Exit while heading North on I-82. They were
        big, white, and sitting on a gravel bar in the middle of the river. I couldn't
        pull over to look through binos, but I doubt they were Snow Geese as these looked
        too big. This could be the same birds Mike saw near Terrace Heights.

      • S c o t t R a y
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 30, 2003
          Hi Jeff,

          American White Pelicans are resident in Washington, albeit in somewhat
          smaller numbers probably, during the winter months.

          S c o t t R a y
          10 miles east of Yakima

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 30, 2003

          • JLPINNELL@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 20, 2004
              Sunday morning at 10PM, there were 18 Pelicans on the west bank of the river
              due east of the southern most Greenway pond. Not swimming, not feeding, just
              hanging out.

            • kozma.jeff
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 25, 2008
                This past weekend I spotted nine American White Pelicans
                flying/circling above the Yakima River near Zillah/Toppenish exits of
                I-82.

                Jeff
              • magicman32@rocketmail.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 9
                  Hey all,
                  This morning while I was at school, my mom had two American White Pelicans below our house. I believe that these are the first in the county this year, and are here at least 2 weeks earlier than my earliest record below my house. I'll have to keep my eye out for them.

                  Also, word on the "Arctic Loon" near Schawana, it was a very oddly plumaged Common. Thank you for all the friendly advice, and I apologize for not clearing this up sooner, I've been super busy!

                  Good birding,

                  Eric