RE: Killdeer nesting

  • deborahessman
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 13, 2003
      Hi Rich--as always, we enjoyed your latest post. As per your
      question, I can only attest to what I've noted here in Ellensburg-
      and of course being colder and more northerly we're probably later
      than Yakima. We always have a pair of killdeers (or sometimes 2)
      nest in our 5 acre pasture. Generally our killdeers hatch the end of
      April, (April 28th last year). They always lay 4 eggs, and have been
      successful in hatching them all in past years. They also generally
      nest again in June. I have good photos that show how the pyriform
      shape of the eggs let four eggs sit together snuggly like slices of
      pie. (Once again I apologize if giving Ellensburg info on Birdyak is
      inappropriate, but we don't have anything like it up here, so I
      appreciate being able to participate.)

      Our feeders were visited twice today by sharp-shinned hawks. The
      bigger female zoomed through around 10 am and picked off a house
      finch. She flew under a sagebrush in the yard and took 45 minutes
      plucking and eating. There was nothing but feathers left! About an
      hour later a smaller (male?) s.s. hawk chased another h. finch under
      our horse trailer and caught it on the back side! Very determined
      considering how little head-room there is under the trailer. Both
      were very handsome in their breeding plumage, and hopefully are a
      pair.

      No hummers or warblers in the yard yet. Deborah in Ellensburg
    • Deb Davis & Ken Bevis
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 20, 2003
        Deborah
        you keep posting! We love your great observations.
        Ken