Osprey at Myron Lake

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 4:59 PM

      I made a brief stop at Myron Lake this morning. A male Osprey (no dark
      necklace or breast band visible) flew from the nest located there and
      returned a short time later with a small talon load of small sticks and
      brush. After working it into the center of the nest, he called for a brief
      moment or two.

      I walked a short way down the Greenway Path and when I returned, the male was
      balanced on the insulator of one of the power lines on a pole just south of
      the nest. I thought it was pretty nifty that he was able to appear so stable
      on a rounded perch not much larger than a baseball...although I admit to
      being concerned about the voltage coursing through the wire so near his feet.
      I moved closer as he called again and then after a slight pause, he reached
      down and twisted something free from his talons. At first I thought it was a
      piece of dry wood but it became apparent as repeated this movement that he
      was eating something. It appeared rather flat and six inches
      long...resembling dried jerky more than fresh fish. He had to work fairly
      hard to tear small chunks off which he then gulped down. It also made his
      balancing act even more impressive.

      Other cuties in the area during my visit where a small flock of American
      Goldfinch, several singing Song Sparrows, a couple Black-capped Chickadees, a
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet, and a pair of Yellow-rumped Warblers. A dozen or so
      Tree Swallows were flying well above the lake.

      All in all, a pretty nice close to town area for a short visit. The parking
      area for Myron Lake lacks signage and may challenge those unfamiliar with the
      entrance. The entrance is just east of Ackland Irrigation and Don's Drydock
      Marina on Fruitvale Blvd...both of these business are east of 40th Ave. Turn
      at the Ackland sign with the big red arrow and continue north across the
      railroad tracks for twenty yards.

      One of the fishermen on the lake reeled in a nice sized fish that put up a
      spirited fight complete with numerous jumps out of the water.