Re: [BirdYak] Signs of Spring

  • Deb Davis & Ken Bevis
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 13, 2003
      Ken here
      At WDFW office in Yakima last week we watched a pair of wood ducks on the
      semi-live cottonwood out front of the building. The female sat way up top
      and the male was climbing about, checking out a stovepipe cavity there. We
      put up a couple of boxes along Wide Hollow just in case they want a proper
      home.
      Heard a screech owl tooting at about 30th and Barge on Mar 11. It is about
      6 blocks from where I heard others (at 36th and Yakima Ave) about 10 days
      ago. I suspect they are different owls. Maybe that is about their urban
      home range if they have the right trees. Our neighborhood (S of
      Summitview, N of Nob hill, b/t 16 and 40th approx) has some real nice old
      trees. Tho I hate the practice of hard "pruning" i.e. mutilation, or
      "topping", whereby large branches are whacked for unknown reasons (thus
      ruining the shape of the tree), and ironic outcome is that heart rot
      creates cavities where the cuts were and provide habitat for these little
      owls (and flicker places and starling holes too).
      In front of the WDFW office, I mean right on the front walk, yesterday,
      were the picked remains of a varied thrush. I saw a sharpie there the day
      before, but an owl might have done it too.
      Heard Great horned hooting in the Tahoma cemetery a while back.
      Down at PetSmart store, the manager told us about a bunch (>100) of dead
      quail they had found just east o fthe store. Went down as (BFI) bird
      forensic investigator. Gathered some for testing. Likely not West Nile for
      there were no other dead species. I think it may have been a poisoning,
      perhaps from anti freeze in a puddle (?). None found since, so likely a
      single event.
      Cleaned out the dozen or so swallow boxes around Myron Lake. 11/12 had
      nests from last year. And only one was vandalized (only b/c we put them up
      real high). That's a high occupancy rate.
      Spring is here.!

      ----------
      > From: AJBIRDS@...
      > To: birdyak@yahoogroups.com; osprey@...
      > Subject: [BirdYak] Signs of Spring
      > Date: Monday, March 10, 2003 10:18 AM
      >
      > Despite the occasional efforts of cold and dreary weather trying
      > to hang on, there are a few signs of spring arriving up here above
      > Yakima.
      >
      > I've had a pair of KILLDEER flying around all of the open
      > fields, calling continuously, morning and night; and, for the last few
      > days, I've heard the melodies of MEADOWLARKS, a welcome sound.
      >
      > Down on Wide Hollow Road, I've seen a RED TAILED HAWK sitting in
      > one of it's two nests, so, I guess it has made it's choice for this
      spring.

      > Joyce Lucas
      > Yakima, Wa.
      > ajbirds@...

    • sarah everts
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 16, 2003
        Yes indeed Spring is here! and to commemorate my first spring in
        Yakima I decided to challenge myself to spend a Friday afternoon in
        the Toppenish NWR. All the lists that have surfaced from other
        birders made me decide to give it a try. My challenge....to id at
        least 20.

        I did a pretty good job I think with 7 "life firsts"(asterisks) as
        well as a "spring display" by a pair of copulating Killdeer.
        (Which....omg!....was a biology first for me!!)

        Here's my list....in order of appearance or there abouts.

        Canada Goose
        White - fronted goose **(just one)
        Mallards
        American Widgeon
        Eurasian Widgeon **
        Pintail
        Barrow's Golden-eye ** (1pr.)
        Red-wing Blackbirds
        Red tail hawk (very vocal in trees/field btwn road and V.Cntr)
        Yellow-rump Warblers ** (took me 30 minutes to id these flighty birds)
        Goldfinches
        Mourning doves
        Robins
        Long-eared owl** (walked past 4 times before looking in right spot)
        Great blue Heron
        Starlings
        Northern Shoveler (just one)
        Killdeer
        American tree sparrow** (graced my presence as I walked to the gazebo)
        Northern Flicker (assume Red-shafted but no clear id)
        Marsh hawk

        21!!!!!!

        Met my challenge, and added 7 to my life list! An exciting and
        beautiful day!!

        Additional note: Saturday mornig decided to check out the Great
        Horned Owl nest (rt24 and Bell) . Momma and owlet were present. Took
        a bit to find baby, fortunately it helped me out by blinking and
        moving. Amazing!!! Also while there noted a hawk across Rt 24 in a
        nest. Watched it land but couldn't get a clear id through the
        branches. Sounded like a Red tail, but not for certain.

        Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible
        Adult ~sarah~
        U.S. National forest protections at risk! Send your objections by April 6:
        http://www.care2.com/go/z/4835
      • Nancy Darby
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 18, 2003
          Sarah,
          Good for you on the lifelist and the sharing. Sounds like a great day--the owlet and the nests!! Wow.
          Nancy Darby--still adding those birds common to others to my lifelist too!
          sarah everts <severts@...> wrote:Yes indeed Spring is here! and to commemorate my first spring in

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • sarah everts
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 18, 2003
            thanks nancy!
            yes, i have been enjoying birds since youth but until the past 8
            years or so did not make much of a distinction between one sparrow
            and the next, now, well.....at least i know there are more than one
            variety!!! :)