Hybrid Northern Flicker at my house

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2003

      I was experimenting with a new method for attaching my camera to my spotting
      scope today and took a photo of a Northern Flicker. When I loaded it into
      my computer, I realized it was a hybrid flicker. Northern Flickers come in
      two flavors - the Red-shafted (RSFL) in the western U.S. and the
      Yellow-shafted (YSFL) in the eastern U.S. and much of Canada. Where the
      ranges of the two meet they hybridize.

      This flicker has characteristics of both on its head. It was the red malar
      mark of the RSFL and a red mark on the back of its head like the YSFL. The
      two have distinct patterns of gray and brown on their heads and that is
      mixed up, too. Those of you who are registered with Yahoo can view the
      photo on the BirdYak website:

      Click on "photos" on the left side of the screen, then hit "next 15" at the
      bottom. Compare the photo to the drawings in your field guide.

      Since I was just experimenting with my camera setup, I didn't really look
      closely at the flicker to try to notice what color the "shafts" were.

      Denny
      * Denny Granstrand *
      * Yakima, WA *
      * osprey@... *