RE: [BirdYak] Yakima Valley Birding

  • Betty Peterson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2003
      I'm having flocks of English sparrows eating black oil sunflower seeds from
      my feeder also.

      Betty
      Cowiche Canyon

    • Kerry Turley
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 16, 2003
        Yakkers,

        It's good to be home (even though I did add a few life birds to my list
        while in VA / NC).

        I Birded the lower Yakima valley today mostly around the Toppenish Wildlife
        Refuge. The first Spring arrivals for the refuge included Greater
        White-fronted Goose, Cinnamon Teal, Ruddy Duck, and Violet Green Swallows.

        Birds are on the move, and things should start getting exciting soon.

        Keep the Binos handy.

        Birds seen (in taxonomic order):

        Great Blue Heron
        Greater White-fronted Goose (in group of C. Geese in front of observation
        deck)
        Canada Goose
        American Wigeon
        Mallard
        Cinnamon Teal (pond near HQ)
        Northern Shoveler
        Northern Pintail
        Green-Winged Teal
        Bufflehead
        Common Goldeneye
        Common Merganser
        Ruddy Duck (pond near HQ)
        Bald Eagle (2 - immature birds harrasing the Ducks and Geese at HQ)
        Northern Harrier
        Red-tailed Hawk
        American Kestrel
        Killdeer
        Ring-billed Gull (Granger Pond)
        Rock Dove
        Mourning Dove
        Great Horned Owl
        Belted Kingfisher
        Northern Flicker
        Loggerhead Shrike
        Black-billed Magpie
        Common Raven
        Violet-green Swallow (on Refuge and at Lateral C Rd.)
        Black-capped Chickadee
        Bewick's Wren
        Marsh Wren
        American Robin
        European Starling
        Yellow-rumped Warbler
        Savannah Sparrow (NE corner of refuge near gate by large willow tree)
        Song Sparrow
        White-crowned Sparrow
        Dark-eyed Junco
        Red-winged Blackbird