Greater White-fronted Goose

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2003

      A Greater White-fronted Goose was in with a flock of 110 Canada Geese at the
      Arboretum at 10:45 this morning. Probably the same goose Denny has reported
      twice (or three times?) in the past month or so at this location. First
      observed the goose at 9:15 directly behind the office building...last seen
      very close to the entrance road parallel to Hwy 24.

      A slight band of white is showing at the base of the flesh toned bill. I got
      a flash of Bean Goose fever when I noted a black nail on the bill but that
      was the only dark area on the entire bill. Note to John--the goose did not
      appear to have the deep keeled belly appearance of a domestic Graylag.

      A stop at the sparrow patch was on the slow side as not many birds were
      present. A probable Sharp-shinned buzzed the group just as the numbers were
      picking up.