ARCTIC LOON - Wanapum Dam - 4 Loon species

  • Scott R
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2002
      My family and I left foggy Yakima Saturday afternoon and ventured over to
      Wanapum Dam hoping for spotting scope conditions near Vantage. It was
      snowing from Manastash Ridge to Ryegrass Pass, but raining along the
      Columbia River. It rained all afternoon, making birding more difficult.
      But the air was clear along the river.

      The ARCTIC LOON, first reported by Scott Downes on 12/26/02, was found again
      at mid channel at the north end of the north island south of the dam. The
      bird drifted slowly downstream to the south end of the first island near
      where seven AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS rested with two DOUBLE-CRESTED
      CORMORANTS. It stayed there for about a half hour, so I made my way down to
      the water's edge to try for better photos. The loon had flown back to the
      north end of the island by the time I got to the shore. However, several
      photos taken from the road through the scope turned out well enough to ID.
      The loon was watched for over 1.5 hours, and at no time was it observed to
      be diving/foraging. All of the other loons dived/foraged actively through
      the period.

      There were a half dozen COMMON LOONS in the mile stretch between the islands
      and the dam. The YELLOW-BILLED LOON reported earlier and seen off and on
      for several weeks was seen a few hundred feet off the dam face working the
      western edge of the turbulent water with a couple of Commons. At the far
      eastern edge of this pool, near the moored service boat, foraged a PACIFIC
      LOON working alone. This is probably the same bird reported earlier. I
      could not find it later in the day.

      There were two VARIED THRUSHES in the pines in the visitor center parking
      lot along the east face of the dam.

      Scott

      " Scott Ray "
      " Moxee, WA "