Northern pygmy-owl

  • deborahessman
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2002
      Greetings from E-burg again. I was refilling the feeders this
      evening (around 4:45 PM) and a Northern pygmy-owl flew out from the
      nearby spruce and landed on a fencepost next to me. I expect them to
      be fairly fearless, but he seemed especially tame. I approached
      carefully and saw he was clutching a decapitated house finch. I know
      they are not uncommon here, but it was a first for my yard list--what
      a treat!

      I also had an Icterid invasion this morning--80+ red-winged
      blackbirds, and a dozen+ brown-headed cowbirds all showed up at the
      feeders around 7 AM. I always have lots in the summer, but they've
      mostly been gone the last month. Hope this isn't a trend I can't
      afford.