Bird Sighting

  • osprey@nwinfo.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2002
      Hi Yakkers,

      This came in this evening from Jennie Hodge. Thought you would be interested.

      Denny

      Hello Denny,

      I had an unusual bird sighting and a couple of my birding buddies
      thought I should let you know. Reading your write up about the lovebird seen
      recently reminded me to do that.
      I live in East Selah and had an interesting sighting on Oct. 12th. While
      out in my garden I heard a tremendously loud noise and then a crash. Much to
      my surprise appeared a much dazzed African Gray Parrot that had either
      connected with my telephone pole or the wires and then fell onto my driveway.
      I proceeded to put a net over it and get it in a wire cage I have and then
      get on the phone to enlist the aid of friends as to what to do with it.
      I called around and got a phone number for a guy locally that does exotic
      animal rescue and he came right out to pick the bird up. He confirmed it was
      a quite expensive African Gray and judging from the size it was less than a
      year old. He also noted that it probably had been loose for about a month
      judging from the color of its feces and that the band on it's leg would
      indicate it was not sold at a pet shop but rather was obtained via the
      internet or a bird breeder.
      It was quite a beautiful bird and the first parrot to make my "yard
      list". I don't know if this sighting will make your column but you might need
      to use it for a filler so I thought I would share.
      Your bird alert column is a joy to read Denny. Keep up the good work.

      Jennie Hodge