Re: [BirdYak] Greenway Surf Scoter & White-throated Sparrow

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2002

      Oophs, the buoys (and the scoter) are/were at the northern (Sarg Hubbard) end
      of the lake this morning.

      Other sightings included:

      At 7:00 AM, I was standing atop the observation platform in Sarg Hubbard
      Park. A flock of thirty or so Cedar Waxwings flew in to feed on the
      berries/fruits of the small trees adjacent to the platform. It was unique to
      be in the tree tops looking at eye level or down at the feeding waxwings and
      robins. They were occasionally swallowing berries that maxed out their
      gaping ability it seemed.

      A pair of Gadwall were in the pond at the rear of the marsh area between Sarg
      Hubbard and Buchanan Lake. Also Mallard, American Coot, Pied-billed Grebe
      and a few Canada Geese.

      Along the river: An Osprey was perched in a snag--later observed soaring
      high above. One female Common Merganser.. Several Great Blue Heron plus a
      single Belted Kingfisher.

      While I was watching the Scoter, an immature Sharp-shinned Hawk landed on a
      low post within thirty feet of me.

      Around the Sparrow Patch: Golden-crowned Sparrow, House Finches,
      Black-capped Chickadee, tons of White-crowned, and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet.
      After I left the patch, I walked up and scanned the lake but did not relocate
      the Scoter. A half dozen Double-rested Cormorants were on their low perch
      across the lake.