Greenway Surf Scoter & White-throated Sparrow

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2002

      A female Surf Scoter was on Buchanan Lake this morning. I first observed the
      bird close to shore in the vicinity of the orange and white buoys at the
      southern end of the lake. Train whistles around 9:00 AM seemed to disturb
      the bird which had been primarily resting and it swam to the middle portion
      of the lake.

      Around 10:30, I ventured up to the Sparrow Patch behind the Arboretum to
      scatter seed. Among the thirty odd birds chowing down on seed Denny spread
      on Sunday was a White-throated Sparrow. The darker bill and strongly
      outlined white throat (with fine whisker or malar stripe) set it off from the
      numerous White-crowned Sparrows. A scope view shows off the yellow lores and
      the tan eyebrow.

      Later

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 8, 2002

        Oophs, the buoys (and the scoter) are/were at the northern (Sarg Hubbard) end
        of the lake this morning.

        Other sightings included:

        At 7:00 AM, I was standing atop the observation platform in Sarg Hubbard
        Park. A flock of thirty or so Cedar Waxwings flew in to feed on the
        berries/fruits of the small trees adjacent to the platform. It was unique to
        be in the tree tops looking at eye level or down at the feeding waxwings and
        robins. They were occasionally swallowing berries that maxed out their
        gaping ability it seemed.

        A pair of Gadwall were in the pond at the rear of the marsh area between Sarg
        Hubbard and Buchanan Lake. Also Mallard, American Coot, Pied-billed Grebe
        and a few Canada Geese.

        Along the river: An Osprey was perched in a snag--later observed soaring
        high above. One female Common Merganser.. Several Great Blue Heron plus a
        single Belted Kingfisher.

        While I was watching the Scoter, an immature Sharp-shinned Hawk landed on a
        low post within thirty feet of me.

        Around the Sparrow Patch: Golden-crowned Sparrow, House Finches,
        Black-capped Chickadee, tons of White-crowned, and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet.
        After I left the patch, I walked up and scanned the lake but did not relocate
        the Scoter. A half dozen Double-rested Cormorants were on their low perch
        across the lake.