Sunday Morning

  • Kerry Turley
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2002
      Date: September 1, 2002

      Yakkers,

      I birded this morning in the area around the Toppenish Wildlife Refuge. The
      hot spot was the flooded field South of Marion Drain and West of Old
      Goldendale Rd., where I had over 60 LESSER YELLOWLEGS, 5 BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS,
      1 RED-NECKED PHALAROPE, several COMMON SNIPE, Lots of KILLDEER, 3 SAVANNAH
      SPARROWS, a mixed flock of 40-60 ducks, and a great view of a PRAIRIE FALCON
      that seemed to delight in keeping everything stirred up.

      Also an exceptional sighting was 12 BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS on the
      south side of the Zimmerman Pond.

      Birds seen (in taxonomic order):

      Pied-billed Grebe [1]
      American Bittern [2]
      Great Blue Heron
      Black-crowned Night-Heron [3]
      Mallard
      Northern Pintail
      Green-Winged Teal
      Northern Harrier
      Red-tailed Hawk
      American Kestrel
      Prairie Falcon [4]
      California Quail
      American Coot
      Killdeer
      Lesser Yellowlegs [5]
      Baird's Sandpiper [6]
      Common Snipe [7]
      Red-necked Phalarope [8]
      Rock Dove
      Mourning Dove
      Belted Kingfisher
      Downy Woodpecker
      Western Kingbird
      Black-billed Magpie
      American Crow
      Violet-green Swallow
      Barn Swallow
      American Robin
      Gray Catbird [9]
      European Starling
      Savannah Sparrow [10]
      Song Sparrow
      Red-winged Blackbird
      Western Meadowlark
      Brewer's Blackbird
      Brown-headed Cowbird
      American Goldfinch

      Footnotes:

      [1] 1 - On Zimmerman's Pond at Lateral "A" and Marion Drain
      [2] 1 - South of Zimmerman's Pond
      [3] 12 - South of Zimmerman's Pond
      [4] 1 - Flooded field South of Marion Drain and West of Old Goldendale Rd.
      [5] 60 - Flooded field South of Marion Drain and West of Old Goldendale Rd.
      [6] 4 - Flooded field South of Marion Drain and West of Old Goldendale Rd.
      [7] Flooded field South of Marion Drain and West of Old Goldendale Rd.
      [8] 1 - Flooded field South of Marion Drain and West of Old Goldendale Rd.
      [9] 1 - Observation platform at TWR
      [10] Flooded field South of Marion Drain / West of Old Goldendale Rd.

      Total number of species seen: 37

      Kerry Turley
      304 E. Woodin Rd.
      Sunnyside, WA 98944
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2002
        Kerry,

        Great post! I'm sorry I missed out on the Phalarope but the thought of being
        confronted with 60 Lesser Yellowlegs boggles my mind. Could there have been
        a Greater in there somewhere? : - )

        Also do the Red-necked Phalaropes get their name from some sort of aberrant
        social behavior? I've never noted any red color on them.

        It is late!

      • Kerry Turley
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2002
          Rich,

          Unfortunately the yellowlegs were all little carbon copies (how's that for
          dating onself, my grandkids don't know what a carbon copy is) of each other.

          As for the Phalaropes the rednecks are only discernable in fall by the
          "Beachnut" chewing tobacco stains on their breast.