9783Raptor watching Field Trip this Saturday February 1.

    Jan 28, 2014
      Yakkers,

      Saturday promises a change in weather so it's time to get out in the field
      and search the Lower Valley for raptors! Meet this Saturday morning at 8 am
      at the Popoff Trail Parking lot to carpool. That's at the east end of
      Valley Mall Blvd, off the easternmost of the three roundabouts. Out until 4
      pm or so. We will tour mainly west from US-97 south of Toppenish along
      Marion Drain Road and focus mainly on wintering raptors. Fields, marshes,
      and brushy areasis in this area host many birds of prey. We expect to see
      Bald Eagle, Northern Harrier, Sharp-shinned, Cooper's, and Red-tailed Hawks,
      American Kestrel, and Prairie Falcon. Uncommon but possible species include
      Rough-legged Hawk, Merlin and Golden Eagle. If we're real lucky, we might
      blunder into a Northern Goshawk.Owls, if encountered, won't be ignored nor
      will waterfowl, which are beginning to drift into the valley.

      Fort Simcoe, at the west end of the Lower Valley should add Lewis's
      Woodpeckers. On our return we'll take a look at the water towers in
      Toppenish for Peregrine Falcon.

      Bring lunch and dress for the weather. Contact leader Andy Stepniewski
      (877-6639) or e-mail him at steppie@....

      Hope to see some of you Saturday morning!.