9615Photo of Thayer's Gull at Rimrock Lake Saturday

    Oct 15, 2013

      Saturday Andy and I found two first-winter Thayer's Gulls at Rimrock Lake. I was able to get a good photo of one of them and placed it in the "New Photos" folder on my website. Here is the link to the photo:

      There are photos of two other first-winter Thayer's Gulls and one adult Thayer's Gull I saw at Rimrock Lake in 2011 in the "Gulls through Doves" folder:

      In size, Thayer's Gull is between California (smaller) and Herring (larger). The field marks that usually attract attention first are the slender bill and rounded crown. Thayer's Gulls also have a frosty appearance in the upperpart patterning, which makes them stand out from most other gulls. That can be seen in all three of my Thayer's Gull photos.

      Denny Granstrand

      Denny Granstrand
      Yakima, WA
      dgranstrand AT gmail.com