8858Re: Bully robin:)

  • kevinslucas
    Dec 28, 2012
      In the past few weeks I've not seen nor heard flocks of Cedar Waxwings at the Yakima Arboretum. From a couple of recent visits to Elmwood Cemetery in Toppenish it's clear to me that a place can have a huge flock, then none in a half hour, but I'd come to expect to see waxwings at the Arboretum on nearly every visit.
      I see on eBird that a large flock was sighted recently near 60th Avenue & Walnut.
      Can anyone share insights into what inspires their local patterns of movement -- temperature, snow, fruit crops, juniper berries (like at Elmwood), whim?

      Thanks,
      Kevin Lucas
      Yakima, WA

      --- In BirdYak@yahoogroups.com, "Angela" <ragsgolf@...> wrote:

      > Just had fun watching a bully robin harassing a pair of cedar waxwings who were just trying to share the spoils from our ornamental pear tree! He finally gave up and rested at the top of the tree not more than a yard away from the pair. That pear tree has provided for many of our local bird friends both as a restaurant and rest stop. Interestingly the different variety of pear on the other side of our house usually isn't visited much until early spring. I think that fruit isn't as tasty to them until then. Or perhaps it just needs to age a bit like fine wine? All's quiet now. I just checked and robin and company have left the area. Sadly he took with him the flock of goldfinches, house finches, and sparrows who were visiting the feeders. He's a brave one. I bet he'll be back!

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic