7903sapsucker hybrid

  • Jeff Kozma
    Nov 1, 2011

      We were out trapping for White-headed Woodpeckers in the Nile area today and
      Teresa caught a Red-naped Sapsucker x Red-breasted Sapsucker in the mist
      nets just off the Forest Service 1600 road about 3 miles up from HWY 410.
      I wasn't there when she caught it but managed to see the bird when I
      returned to help her out this afternoon. It looked to be a good mix of both
      species with extensive red on the head but with obvious black and white
      markings throughout. It is quite a striking bird.

      Jeff Kozma

      Yakima (Terrace Heights)